• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Can I use Cyanogen Mod?

Upvote 0
I'll start by apologizing for the necropost.

The 'Install CM for jfltevzw' link has high-level instructions from CM. Great. I still have I545VRUAMDK, so this still applies to my S4. I'd watched some tutorials on installing CM, which do not use the exact tools/steps that CM recommends. The first link (for a new kernel) on the CM instructions is dead. I'm already rooted, so I figure no big deal as that is the next step # 2 anyway.

I used the "[ROOT] Rashr - Flash Tool" app to flash the CWM (v6.0.4.7 for jfltevzw) recovery.img. No dice, and I now have the lovely "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest Verizon Wireless Store for help." Son of a....

First Q: is this a "brick" or a "bootloop"? I'm inclined to think the former.
Second Q: Where do I go from here? Is there any means of restoring functionality back to the phone? If so, where might I find some detailed steps on achieving that?

I appreciate any assistance.

~James

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones