• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I stop my phone charging at the recommended 80%?

HarryC

Sep 25, 2013
If, as recommended in several videos I've watched, it's helpful for battery longevity to avoid full charging (and leaving on charge when full) how can I best do that?

I have a Galaxy A13 and as far as I'm aware there's no way to make it stop charging automatically.

My next step was apps that would notify me with a tone when it reached my desired charge level so if I heard it I could unplug, at least I'd be able to stop it fully charging a lot of the time.

I can't find a simple easy to use app to do that. I've tried a couple and they're overly fiddly and/or ad clogged.

Can anyone recommend one or a simple way to do what I want?

Reactions: AugieTN
I've read all the reports of only charging to 80% is best for extended battery life. I have always plugged my phones in overnight, charging them to 100%. When I travel I plug my phone in and use it for GPS and possible for bluetooth applications and possible playing a podcast. It will charge the phone to 100% and I travel a lot.

I'm sure the 80% rule is correct, but I have never had a battery problem with battery life and I keep my phones 2 or 3 years

Just my 2 cents

Upvote 0
I've read all the reports of only charging to 80% is best for extended battery life. I have always plugged my phones in overnight, charging them to 100%. When I travel I plug my phone in and use it for GPS and possible for bluetooth applications and possible playing a podcast. It will charge the phone to 100% and I travel a lot.

I'm sure the 80% rule is correct, but I have never had a battery problem with battery life and I keep my phones 2 or 3 years

Just my 2 cents
that's the thing, some people want to keep their phones for much longer than 2-3 years. some people want to keep their phones 4-5 years. in order to keep their phones for that long, they will need to practice different charging habits.

i am with you. i wake up in the morning take my phone off the charger and go to work. when i come home from work and before i go to bed i put it on the charger and let it charge over night. rinse and repeat. i too usually keep phones for 2-3 years so long term battery life is not a concern for me.

when you get home from work, you should be able to charge the phone to 80% before you go to bed. just leave it like that until the next day. it should not go down too much. you can even turn on power saving overnight. this should help in keeping a good charge until you wake up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As I recall, Apple really pushed the 80% charge and had a built in program to turn charging off at 80%

You have to think about charge cycles. I think this is where the 80% rules comes into play. I recall reading something about 1000 charge cycles over 3 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
that's the thing, some people want to keep their phones for much longer than 2-3 years. some people want to keep their phones 4-5 years. in order to keep their phones for that long, they will need to practice different charging habits.

i am with you. i wake up in the morning take my phone off the charger and go to work. when i come home from work and before i go to bed i put it on the charger and let it charge over night. rinse and repeat. i too usually keep phones for 2-3 years so long term battery life is not a concern for me.

when you get home from work, you should be able to charge the phone to 80% before you go to bed. just leave it like that until the next day. it should not go down to omuch. you can even turn on power saving overnight. this should help in keeping a good charge until you wake up.
I would like to not have to keep checking it when it's charging tho. I'm too easily distracted and forgetful. An alert would be helpful.

Upvote 0
I would like to not have to keep checking it when it's charging tho. I'm too easily distracted and forgetful. An alert would be helpful.
my phone when plugged in will tell me how long it will be until it is fully charged. just set a timer before than. you will soon learn how long it will be until it gets to 80% and just set an alarm or timer accordingly. it does not have to be exactly 80%. it could 70 or 75%. that should be fine as well.

Upvote 0
FWIW my Galaxy Note20 has an automatic stop charging at 85% option in the settings. Other Samsungs may have the same or similar.
OH shoot it does too! I didn't expect that on my cheap and cheerful A13 so I didn't even check - I've never even been that far into the battery settings.

If anyone's wondering it's in settings/battery and device care/battery (where it also shows the level and time remaining)/more battery settings.

Thanks mikedt, you rock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones