• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I increase the Phone or video screen timeout beyond 10 minutes with my Galaxy S23 Ultra?

How can I increase the 'Phone' or Video screen timeout beyond 10 minutes with my Galaxy S23 Ultra?
I like to shoot birds with my video, especially hummingbirds using a tripod with a remote so I'm not close to the feeder. The hummer comes in every 20-30 minutes and the video shuts down after five minutes or so and returns to the home screen. That will shut off after 10 minutes. I think the video itself shut off If I don't use it for five minutes. Is there a way around that?

Bottom line, while shooting video or camera photos on tripod, I'd like the screen or video NOT TO SHUT OFF.

I know in developers options you can click "Stay Awake" but that's apparently only if your charging?
Another one is it will stay on if your looking at the screen, well I can't as the tripod/phone is a few feet away.
This defeats the purpose of the tirpod.

Stumped in WA

Last edited:
The interesting thing here is that my s21's camera does seem to suppress the screen timeout: I set my phone to 1 minute but if I open the camera and then don't touch the screen it stays on longer than that. But I've not tested the maximum it will stay on for.

It is possible for an automation app like Tasker to keep the screen on longer. I many years ago knocked together a Tasker profile to keep the screen on when certain apps were running (set the condition to be that any of these apps was active, the action was to set the screen timeout to 23:59, and the exit action when the condition was no longer met was to set it back to 1 minute). Just making a Tasker action to set a long timeout and activating it manually would be very simple.

I don't know about the video time limit. If it's not tied to the screen it might be hard-coded into the camera app, e.g. for thermal protection. I don't shoot much video so haven't met this.

Upvote 0
I don't know about the video time limit. If it's not tied to the screen it might be hard-coded into the camera app, e.g. for thermal protection. I don't shoot much video so haven't met this.
Yeah, Video Timeout is sooner than the actual screen timeout of 10 minutes max, and about five minutes for video. (I didn't time it) then I'd have get up, go over and set it up all over again as when the screen shuts off, it goes back to default photos. I put the tripod/phone close the feeder and hide behind a chair. Very irritating as the Hummingbirds don't wait for you and if they see you, BAM! Gone. LOL

I'm new to videos as I'm mostly take photos. But since it's suppose to be so good on the S23 Ultra, I wanted to try it. I do a lot of Hummingbird photography with my Nikon and have that down pat.
Hummingbirds

So maybe some video experts here can help me out.

Reactions: ocnbrze and Hadron
Upvote 0
They are a fairly common sight here in Kansas. They are more curious than afraid and will sometimes hover and check you out vs fleeing.

Yes, I've seen them go up and chase Hawks (they know they can outfly anything) and they can really fight with other hummers to guard their feeders.

If you like Bald Eagles, I have a lot of those too on my website and tons of other nature/wildlife pics on there:
Moskovita Wildlife / Nature Photography
double-landing-nesting-eagles-1200.jpg

Upvote 0
Reactions: jack58
Upvote 0
I completely understand the frustration with the screen timeout. I recently faced a similar issue with my phone when I was trying to take a passport photo. The screen kept dimming while I was trying to get the perfect shot, and I was looking for a way to extend the timeout duration. After a bit of research, I found you might be able to adjust it through Developer Options or by using trustworthy third-party apps that can override the default settings. Speaking of passport photos, I recently discovered a helpful platform while searching for requirements for a visa application. You can check it out here. It provides detailed image requirements for various official documents from different countries. It was a lifesaver for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones