• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root can not stop wireless tether?

I did the usb driver install followed by rooting with UNREVOKED 3.3 and did the backup then installed Wireless Tether off the app market.

My full install information is listed here: http://androidforums.com/incredible...free-animation-remove-apps-4.html#post2501341 with questions but no one reads that thread I guess.

But when all was done in HBOOT screen it shows S-ON no S-OFF?
which is fine I guess as I still have root and can SU.

wireless_tether_2_0_7.apk seems to start and work but I can not stop it. When I press the screen to stop it says stopping tether and then says press screen to stop again. It never gets out of that mode.

What is wrong?

Here are the rest of my questions about this whole process:

When I started wireless tether and then went to stop it I noticed that my access to my home wireless was showing Brown or yellow instead of green in my wireless widget. I was not able to turn it off or on after that untill I rebooted and then access to the home wireless was restored. If I shut down the home wireless access from the phone and run the wireless tether it starts and runs but still will not stop. I have to reboot to get it to stop.

*** How do you stop it and exit the wireless tether?
I also tried SYSTEM to end the task but it left the Green Wireless symbol on the top task/event bar.

*** Also if I already have my phone setup to use my house's wireless for data access can I also be running wireless tether?
I assume it uses the same device?
So is it one or the other?

***So to run the wireless tether are you suppose to turn off the WiFi in Wireless&networks?

*** And how do you really stop the wireless tether after starting it so that you are not sucking up data running the tether all the time?

*** Also I use this Incredible for access to my Corporate Outlock sothey can wipe my device if security is meesed up. Does this effect it?

*** What does the S-ON and S-OFF effect? Some security but what exactly?

I'm pretty sure wireless tether requires s-off to work correctly. Unless you perform the workarounds.
Run unrevoked forever, or unrevoked again. Once wireless tether is working properly it should turn off properly. It only uses data if you have a wireless device connected to it.

And once you turn wireless tether on, you can not use your phone's wi-fi. Until you turn it off.

S-off is when the nand is unlocked. It is required to be unlocked to flash unsigned files and for certain apps to work.

Upvote 0
Are you sure you didn't accidentally deny superuser when prompted upon exit or did you not get a prompt? Every time I load it for the first time I've had to grant superuser rights at start and finish of tethering. If that's the prob here you might be able to open superuser and edit the allowances.
^^^ this too, open up the super user app and check the permissions.

Reactions: svwilbur
Upvote 0
Dude, Thanks to both of you! It was the allowing root access on "Stop 1 as root" option in the Super User permissions app.

I must have not seen the option the first time I tried to close it. And I never saw anything min the SU app before as I had not previously had apps using it I guess. Before when I looked at it the listing was empty. I did not know they would list under there.

I still have S-ON but I am not planing on flashing any ROMs so not an issue yet.

Thanks! That fixed it so now it starts and works as before but I can stop it now too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones