1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Can Vlingo read Handcent texts?

Last Updated:

1. mcnob

mcnob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As above really. It has text to speech and its enabled but it doesn't seem to wanna recognise incoming texts through handcent.

Any suggestions?

Ta

Advertisement
  2. masters

masters New Member

Mine doesn't seem to work either.

3. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

It worked when I used it a while back, but that was prior to the Droid 2 update and the handcent updates that followed. I don't know if it works now.

4. Droiduser2011

Droiduser2011 New Member

When I first installed Vlingo it would not read any incoming texts. I was using handcent txt. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working and was about to uninstall my Handcent because I really wanted the Vlingo function. After doing research I found the answer and it WORKED!!! For me anyway hopfully for you as well. You have to go into the "Phone" settings then to the "Voice input & output" setting. Then go into the "Voice recognizer". If you have Vlingo installed you should have at least two options. 1 is Google 2 is Vlingo. You need to select "Vlingo". Once you've done that Vlingo should start reading the incoming texts.

5. mhynek

mhynek Well-Known Member

I tried this and it didn't work on my Bionic. Just sharing my experience.

6. Twinynumber2

Twinynumber2 Member

I just tried this & it worked!! Go to the handcent settings, click on speech,& uncheck the tts type so it says use eyes free text to speech..
    I thought it was an app, but I couldn't find it in The market, so I just left it, & sent myself a text from my daughters phone & vlingo/safe reader worked!!!

Jeanine likes this.
  7. ritah

ritah New Member

Hey everyone,

I have a Droid 3. I also would like for my text messages to be read out loud upon receipt (touch-free). I've tried both of the solutions mentioned in this thread (in both the phone settings and the Handcent settings) and it still won't do it.

I mainly started using Handcent because I wanted to receive reminders of incoming text until they are read. Does anyone know of an app that will both read the texts out loud AND sound reminders until I actually pick up the phone and read the message?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!