• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can we email books to Aldiko or Laputa?

I've never used Laputa, so I can't speak to that, but I use Aldiko and have email books before.
When you email yourself the book it will end up in the downloads directory on your SD card. You need to move the file to \ebooks\import (by either using a file manager like Astro, or by connecting the phone to your computer and doing a drag and drop using MS Explorer). Once in the import directory open Aldiko them menu > import. Aldiko will then import all epub files in the Import directory and move them into the appropriate author directory - creating the directory if necessary.

If you're a Dropbox user, the process is a bit simpler. I have a 'phone' directory under my dropbox folder. Anything I want to send to my phone from my PC I put there. When you download epub files from dropbox on your phone, Aldiko 'intercepts' the file automatically moves it to the proper directory as though you had just done an 'import'. This is the method I use the most. I find it much easier to find and download books on my PC and Dropbox them to my phone, than any other method I've tried so far. (Yes, I know that Aldiko has links to some book sites that will automatically download into the correct place, but I've long since read all of those books that I'm interested in and have moved on to other sites)

BTW, I also use the dropbox method to download new ROMs to my phone. When I find one that's I want to try I download it on the PC and move it to the dropbox folder. Then when I'm ready to actually put it on my phone, which is often days later, I pull it from the dropbox.

Reactions: notaguru
Upvote 0
This seems like a perfect answer - a fine solution! Let's see if I have this right:

--Set up a Dropbox account.
--Establish a 'phone' folder.
--Pub epub book files into that folder.
--Set up a Dropbox>phone bookmark on the phone's browser.
--Visit Dropbox using the phone.
--Download selected files, and Aldiko books will find their home.

Right?

Upvote 0
Not quite right, but really close. :)
You need to install the Dropbox app on your phone.
Then at your step 4 you would open the app rather than the phone's browser.
Go to the 'phone' folder and download the file(s) you want on your phone.
When you download an epub you'll hear a 'kerplunk' sound and in the notification bar you'll see "(book title) has been imported" - that tells you that Aldiko now has the book.

Upvote 0
Wow! I installed dp on the phone and logged in, and found an epub I'd loaded into dp on the laptop. Not automatic - but I touched the file and was given a CHOICE of ebook readers to "complete the action" - Aldiko and Laputa.

I'll do more experimenting, as it looks like this is a very big improvement in the way to get files to the phone.
Again, thanks.

Upvote 0
If FBReader uses ePub files, then the (100% free) Dropbox solution should be fine. At worst, you'll have to direct FBR's attention to where the files wind up. At best, it'll be automatic.

I would prefer a reader with controllable scrolling, but haven't found such a thing. Does FBReader offer that feature?

Upvote 0
I mean automatic scrolling at an adjustable rate, so I can prop up the phone and just read - with no flicking or poking the screen. I had that on my Treo (PalmOS) with Mobipocket, but haven't found it for this phone.

Now that I've been educated regarding Dropbox, such scrolling would make the picture perfect.

Upvote 0
I use FBReader. It fits me better than Aldiko or Laputa. I wonder if the same thing works with it, but I don't use DropBox.

I'm not familiar with FBReader, so can't say for sure. But what I'd suggest is to look to see if it has an import (or similar) function. If it does then that tells you that it will accept books from outside sources. At that point it shouldn't matter whether you email yourself the book, download it using the phone's browser or via a program like Dropbox.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones