• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you port a number (that is out of contract) to an EXISTING contract?

sic0048

Android Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010
Here is the situation. I've had a work phone for years now, the company is going to be merging soon, and so I got a personal phone a couple of months ago to start getting my customers use to a new phone number (while forwarding the old work number to the new phone). At that time, my work was very clear that I would NOT be able to take my old number with me.

Well I guess they had a change of heart over the last couple of months because today they tell me that I can "take" my work number and have it ported over to a personal line.

I immediately went to my local Verizon store (corporate) and they ended up calling Verizon customer service. Long story short, they said you cannot replace an existing phone number with another number. In other words, I cannot port over my work number and replace my current personal cell number with my old work number.

I just wanted to ask here to see if anyone has actually done this. We all know that the answers you get from reps are different rep to rep, so I was wondering if I should continue to push the issue.

I realize the "worse case" scenerio is that I get a family plan and get another personal line and port the old work number to the new personal line. But I'd rather not do that if I don't have to. I have no need for two personal cell lines.

It should be noted that the business plan is not under contract, but I am about 2 months into my 24mo contract on my personal line. It has clearly been longer than 30 days, so I cannot cancel the existing line without paying the termination fees.

I'd love to hear if anyone has worked this out in the past.

Thanks,

Brian

It is not possible. Your 24 month contract is for the number so if you change it you would basically be canceling the contract.

This is not acurate. You are paying for the service, not the number. So say you have some ex-girlfriend calling you all the time, you can change the number. Wont hurt your contract.

The first part of being able to port a number is that you have to own, or have rights to, that number. Since it's in your company's name and is still active... i think that complicates things.

Second thing that REALLY complicates things is that, as you stated, you already got a number.

However, i believe this can still be done (I have some experience in porting numbers, but landlines not cellular). But it will be a nightmare 30-60 minute project for the rep that takes this job.

I would call 611 and try again.
But first, have someone authorized at your work call Verizon about your work number and authorize for this line to be disconnected for the purposes of porting the number

Upvote 0
If it's an active Verizon Wireless number on an account, that wouldn't be porting a number. Porting is the act of transferring a number from one service provider (ie:AT&T) to another provider (Verizon Wireless). Transferring the number from one account to another is an Assumption of Liability and would not replace another active number, just add the number to either an existing account or a new account. That wouldn't affect the new contract you setup 2 months ago, you would end up with 2 lines, and since the one you would be adding to the account (old work number) from what you say is not under contract, it wouldn't be under contract under your name then.
I hope that clears things up for you.

00smurf

Reactions: sic0048
Upvote 0
00smurf - thanks for the information. Your information matches the paperwork I've been given. I was given a Assumption of Liability form from my work that basically gives me permission to transfer the phone number. Sorry for using the term "porting" incorrectly.

Basically you are saying that the old number cannot replace my existing personal number, correct?

I'm still going to call Verizon directly and ask them if I can replace my existing phone number if I have an Assumption of Liability on the old work number. But I'm not holding my breath.

So then the next quesion is should I pay the termination fee on my current personal phone, or pay the extra $30/mo that it cost to get the lowest level of family plan. ($39.99 for 450 call only vs. $69.99 for cheapest family plan). It seems better to cancel my existing plan and pay the roughly $330 cancellation fee.

Upvote 0
sic0048,
You may want to see if anyone wants to assume liability for the new#. That way you avoid the early termination fee, keep your old# and maybe help out a friend or realative. There is also the option if your old# is eligible for an upgrade, try using the upgrade and then converting the new# into a mobile broadband service. There is a $39.99 250 MB data package. Yes you still have the remainder of the contract and are paying, but you get the service for wireless internet and avoid having about $330 at one time billed to you.

00smurf

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones