Can you use any micro usb charging cable?

Last Updated:

1. jazzman09

jazzman09 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can you use a blackberry micro usb cable for charging the phone anybody know? Can it be any brand of micro usb?

Advertisement
  2. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

You can - but they don't have the little clippy things (yes that's the technical term!) so they don't stay in very well and are kind of loose.

digger44 and jazzman09 like this.
  3. radi0chik

radi0chik Well-Known Member

Electronically, yes, physically, no. I bought some Belkin micro USB cables as spares (one at work, one at home, etc) and the rubber part around the micro tip was so big that the connector would not seat all the way down in the phone. I'm sure if I carved it off or ground it down it would. But I took it back and got a different brand that didn't have as much rubber/covering around the micro tip. If you can take it out of the package and make sure it seats and clicks in your phone before you buy it, that'd be good.

jazzman09 likes this.
  4. jazzman09

thank you guys, samsung is out of stock of their data cables so I need an extra one from somewhere.

5. jazzman09

So using this micro usb cable here for older samsung phones would work ?

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/mobile-phone-accessories/APCBU10BBEBSTD/index.idx?pagetype=acc_detail&subsubtype=data-cables-kits&tab=accFeatures

6. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

buy one on ebay

I found one for $3 shipped

trimmed the egdes off with a xacto knife

7. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

You can use any micro usb cable pretty much but you need a charger than can put out at a minimum 700ma (more is OK)

8. belyle

belyle Member

I'm using a miniUSB cable that I got from... I don't even know where (or when, or for what product) with a mini-to-micro adapter tip. The adapter tip is off of a charging only cable, but it has all 4 pins intact, so it even allows data transfer. Charging is good, but if I'm going to be plugging it in to a computer anyway, I might as well have data transfer, too.

9. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

I charge my mytouch with whatever cable is handy, all the time. Camera cables, blackberry chargers, even used my buddy's playstation cable to charge from his dvr, lol.

10. jazzman09

Ok cool thank you guys!

11. JadeEyedWolf

JadeEyedWolf Well-Known Member

I don't know if this was just me, or if anyone else has experienced this as well, but I've noticed that when using any other microUSB cable than the one provided by Samsung, the phone won't charge beyond 50% for some reason. I even tried using the Samsung charger and a different cable, and still, only 50% charge! I also carved away the excess rubber/plastic on the other cable to ensure a snug and proper connection; it even had the technical hook thingy's!

12. jazzman09

not on my car usb charger, it charges up to 100 percent.

13. NOSintake

NOSintake Well-Known Member

I've only used my Moto charger from my old Q9H, and that works fine. Haven't even looked inside the Captivate box actually, lol. I've been playing with this phone non stop

14. jazzman09

the one that comes with the phones fits much better than any other one I have noticed, might want to take it out and try it.

15. LarrynKy

LarrynKy Active Member

The one that came with my Captivate seems to not fit well and easily falls out unless I am careful about how I set it down. If the car charger adapter is the same, it will not stay in my phone if I have to use it as I drive or use as the GPS. Anyone else having this issue?

16. jazzman09

No the one that came in the box snaps in really nice better than any other micro usb cable, you must have a faulty end on the micro usb cable or a bad one inside the phone.

17. fireonhigh

fireonhigh Well-Known Member

on the phone ,make sure you slide the door until you feel it click all the way open,then it will be tight:D////////if that doesn't work return it

18. Hockey37

Hockey37 Member

19. marcus304j

marcus304j Member

I got a micro USB cable at 5 Below for you guessed it, $5! It works great for charging my phone, but it will NOT let my sync data with it.

Just a heads up.