• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you use any micro usb charging cable?

Electronically, yes, physically, no. I bought some Belkin micro USB cables as spares (one at work, one at home, etc) and the rubber part around the micro tip was so big that the connector would not seat all the way down in the phone. I'm sure if I carved it off or ground it down it would. But I took it back and got a different brand that didn't have as much rubber/covering around the micro tip. If you can take it out of the package and make sure it seats and clicks in your phone before you buy it, that'd be good.

Reactions: jazzman09
Upvote 0
I'm using a miniUSB cable that I got from... I don't even know where (or when, or for what product) with a mini-to-micro adapter tip. The adapter tip is off of a charging only cable, but it has all 4 pins intact, so it even allows data transfer. Charging is good, but if I'm going to be plugging it in to a computer anyway, I might as well have data transfer, too.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this was just me, or if anyone else has experienced this as well, but I've noticed that when using any other microUSB cable than the one provided by Samsung, the phone won't charge beyond 50% for some reason. I even tried using the Samsung charger and a different cable, and still, only 50% charge! I also carved away the excess rubber/plastic on the other cable to ensure a snug and proper connection; it even had the technical hook thingy's!

Upvote 0
I don't know if this was just me, or if anyone else has experienced this as well, but I've noticed that when using any other microUSB cable than the one provided by Samsung, the phone won't charge beyond 50% for some reason. I even tried using the Samsung charger and a different cable, and still, only 50% charge! I also carved away the excess rubber/plastic on the other cable to ensure a snug and proper connection; it even had the technical hook thingy's!

not on my car usb charger, it charges up to 100 percent.

Upvote 0
The one that came with my Captivate seems to not fit well and easily falls out unless I am careful about how I set it down. If the car charger adapter is the same, it will not stay in my phone if I have to use it as I drive or use as the GPS. Anyone else having this issue?

No the one that came in the box snaps in really nice better than any other micro usb cable, you must have a faulty end on the micro usb cable or a bad one inside the phone.

Upvote 0
The one that came with my Captivate seems to not fit well and easily falls out unless I am careful about how I set it down. If the car charger adapter is the same, it will not stay in my phone if I have to use it as I drive or use as the GPS. Anyone else having this issue?
on the phone ,make sure you slide the door until you feel it click all the way open,then it will be tight:D////////if that doesn't work return it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones