• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

cannot kill GPS status bar icon

Do you have some sorft of widget to toggle GPS on/off? Under menu > settings > location there are three choices: use wireless network, location setting, and enable GPS satellites. I normally have only the first option checked. If you use the Sense widget, enabling GPS turns on all three options. Turning off GPS only turns off the last option and I have to turn the second off myself if I want it off.

The reason that I mention this is that the crosshair icon comes on with the first setting, the two little lines come on with the second setting. If you just toggle GPS off they'll remain there until you remove the location setting too.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Do you have some sorft of widget to toggle GPS on/off? Under menu > settings > location there are three choices: use wireless network, location setting, and enable GPS satellites. I normally have only the first option checked. If you use the Sense widget, enabling GPS turns on all three options. Turning off GPS only turns off the last option and I have to turn the second off myself if I want it off.

The reason that I mention this is that the crosshair icon comes on with the first setting, the two little lines come on with the second setting. If you just toggle GPS off they'll remain there until you remove the location setting too.

Hope this helps.

That didn't work for disabling the blinking icon that I know too well. I just ignore it now but I do remember that it irked me when I turned GPS off but the GPS icon continually blinked.

This is kind of a crazy way but the only way I have found to get rid of the icon aside from a reset is to have GPS enabled and to open Google Maps. When it gets a fix (solid green), then back out of Google maps. The icon should be completely gone and then you can enable or disable GPS. This is just too much trouble for me so I ignore the icon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones