• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot open .bin files

amathis84

Lurker
Feb 16, 2012
First off, I would like to say thanks to all of you on this board as you guy's have helped me through all of my HTC Evo problems thus far!

I had to create an account since I could not find my answer! I downloaded a few (purchased) books and the file type was originally mp3, but once downloaded the file was a .bin ext and gives me the error, "The content is not supported on the phone. No application can be found to open this file. Do you still want to dowload it?". Once the item is downloaded and opened it gives me the simple error of "cannot open file".

I read a few post concerning .apk files to .bin... I do not know how to rename the file. I have no clue on how to access this file other than through the download icon.

If anyone has any idea, please let me know!

Thanks again!

P.S. I am a smartphone noob so please, if it gets deep explain in dummy text lol...

Welcome to the forums!

If there were originally mp3 files, then those would be audiobooks.

Can you describe how you downloaded them, the actual process?

You mention these were purchased - were they from Amazon or B&N? I'm wondering if matching their apps to the files would help any.

PS - Maybe a good idea to install Astro File Manager, free in the Market, and set its preferences to allow downloading of any file type. That will actually improve your browsing experiences quite a bit.

Upvote 0
Thanks!

I download them directly off of learnoutloud(dot)com. When you purchase a book it opens the file to your library and you can download from there whenever you would like.

I downloaded the Astro app and found all kinds of stuff I downloaded in the past that I had no clue where it ran off too! lol so thank you for that suggestion! Once the app was downloaded I was able to rename the file with the mp3 ext but no workie!

It's kinda strange because when I download the file it shows the file to be 33mb and it downloads in about 5 seconds and the file size is 23kb. But I am still unable to open the file.

Upvote 0
Hi i had the same problem with my downloaded movies. Then i realized that it was downloaded as compressed .rar files. My solution was:
Use the astro file manager to change the extention to .rar
Then download androzip app from the market and open it and choose the downloads folder there u will find ur files and u can extract them to their original format and u will b able to open them as usual media files.
It worked well for me, hopfully it will do the trick for u.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones