• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot reply to SMS - area code issue

seylerg

Lurker
Sep 22, 2009
I am using the main android messaging app that came with the phone.
I have set my contatcts to include the area code.
I can send a new message to a contact and it includes the area code.
But when someone sends me a text message, I open it from the notification bar, and it opens in the messaging app, but does not include their area code on the top so it will not let me reply to that thread.
I have to exit messaging and send them a new sms.
I would really like to just type my reply text and hit send.
any thoughts would be great - thanks

I am using the main android messaging app that came with the phone.
I have set my contatcts to include the area code.
I can send a new message to a contact and it includes the area code.
But when someone sends me a text message, I open it from the notification bar, and it opens in the messaging app, but does not include their area code on the top so it will not let me reply to that thread.
I have to exit messaging and send them a new sms.
I would really like to just type my reply text and hit send.
any thoughts would be great - thanks

Sounds like you may have downloaded another sms program ... if yes delete it ... restart phone ...

Backup your Messages : "MyBackups PRO"

Same Problem ...?? then go into settings | Applications | manage apps |

Find "Messaging" and click on clear data..
Restart Phone ...

Your problem should be cleared ... if Not then you have something set strangely in your contacts ...

Upvote 0
Thanks Justjimjpc,
Tried all on your list, but when I get a text the number still does not include area code. it is very odd.
I can send a text to anyone in my contacts - it shows area code when I do this, if they reply to me - then it comes in without area code and I cannot continue to text them again until I go to the home screen and launch a text to a contact. The thread remains and all the info is there but if I reply from there most recent message it will not send as it is texting a 7 digit number not 10.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue, and I have not downloaded any other programs to manage the SMS / MMS threads. Some areas of the country (USA) will need to put the area code in there (NY for example)

Anyone have any luck trying some things that are not mentioned in this thread? I'm only having this issue after I close out of the MMS thread (go back to the home screen, etc.) And..this is coming from the Nextel network.

Edit: I spel guud.

Upvote 0
I am currently having this same problem

I have a samsung captivate on the rogers network in canada, running 2.1

I need to include the area code in all text messages (Even if within the same area code) for them to send successfully. However, with select contacts, if you send an SMS to them (including the area code), they reply back, and you try and respond to then, the area code has been dropped and you need to start a new message as opposed to replying directly.

Deleting the contact info and all existing conversations, followed by re-entering the contact info does not solve this problem

Using alternate SMS programs also does not solve this problem.

I suspect the problem is a function of the fact that these contacts appear to be on Fido (MTS and rogers work fine), and something to do with how either the rogers network interacts with contacts on fido, or how android deals with info that originated from fido.

I have been unable to find any solutions to this problem; though it does appear to be quite widespread.

Upvote 0
I suspect the problem is a function of the fact that these contacts appear to be on Fido (MTS and rogers work fine), and something to do with how either the rogers network interacts with contacts on fido, or how android deals with info that originated from fido.

Funny, same problem, same phone. My problem arises when replying to Rogers texts.
I get over it by just replying (which fails). Then I long press the failed message, click forward, and then enter the 10 digit number.
If I want the treaded conversation to remain intact, I then long press the failed message and delete it. The 'forwarded' message remains in the conversation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones