• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help can't activate the phone :/ issues:

Shadytree

Lurker
Jun 5, 2012
I just got an HTC EVO V 4G phone and I can't get the activation to work.

I turn it on and it tries to do the hands free activation and fails. Gives me an error 131, something like "unable to establish data connection"

I went to the website to see if I could activate it there, and tried entering the serial number/MEIN number. Wasn't sure which one to try, tried them all, none of them were "recognized"

On my phone the "4G" icon has an exclamation point "4G!"

I can access internet and email but not make/receive phone calls. When I try to make a phone calls, it rings a few times, then I get a canned message saying I'm not authorized to make phone calls, but I have a 300min/month plan and it is paid up. I should be authorized.

We do have wifi and it's connected.

I tried taking out the battery for 20 seconds, rebooting, gave it an hour, didn't work. Same problems.

Tried doing a system update on my phone and that didn't help, didn't update, got an error message.

Any ideas?

REALLY don't want to ask my overbearing husband for help. He is already on my last nerve.

:(:thinking::(

Reactions: WC Jerome
I had the same issue and there was no other option but to call India and speak to a VMCS rep. The serial number on the sticker on the back of the phone is the number you enter on the website. For me it didnt work online because the guy at RS put the phone on my account and I was trying to activate it under my wifes account.

Just call.

Upvote 0
I also cannot activate my phone yet. I've talked to a VMCS rep (from India, of course) and I haven't gotten anywhere yet. I'll have to call back later on in the morning. What really sucks is that I'm without a working cell phone right now, because I've already deactivated my crappy ZTE Warp from Boost. :(

Upvote 0
I'm on hold with the VM guy now.

My husband is all mad at me because he asked me if he could see my phone "for just a second, to make sure you have the cell phone turned on in settings" and I told him no.

hahaha

:p

I get error codes 131 and 1012. The VM guy said he thinks the problem is on there end. Been on the phone for 40+ minutes and he's put me on hold 4 times now. Making me cranky!!

Upvote 0
I just got an HTC EVO V 4G phone and I can't get the activation to work.

I turn it on and it tries to do the hands free activation and fails. Gives me an error 131, something like "unable to establish data connection"

I went to the website to see if I could activate it there, and tried entering the serial number/MEIN number. Wasn't sure which one to try, tried them all, none of them were "recognized"

On my phone the "4G" icon has an exclamation point "4G!"

I can access internet and email but not make/receive phone calls. When I try to make a phone calls, it rings a few times, then I get a canned message saying I'm not authorized to make phone calls, but I have a 300min/month plan and it is paid up. I should be authorized.

We do have wifi and it's connected.

I tried taking out the battery for 20 seconds, rebooting, gave it an hour, didn't work. Same problems.

Tried doing a system update on my phone and that didn't help, didn't update, got an error message.

Any ideas?

REALLY don't want to ask my overbearing husband for help. He is already on my last nerve.

:(:thinking::(

I made a trouble shooting thread because I was having the same issue. You can get Internet and email because you are on Wifi. Check this thread and follow the Factory reset instructions. That is what got mine working.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-v-4g/560315-evo-v-3d-4g-activation-troubleshooting-thread.html

Upvote 0
Day 3:

Second HTC EVO V 4G and still no phone service.

This second phone still fails to connect to the network, giving me errors# 131 and every once in a while error 1012.

I've spent more hours on the phone with people from India that keep telling me to do the same thing over and over I am going to lose my mind.

I've had my issue sent up to the "so called" next level of tech support 3 times and have still heard nothing back.

Why can't I talk to somebody that will even ask me a common sense question about my phone or answer my common sense questions? They are all robots that do nothing but read instructions off of a stupid screen. That aren't even updated for this new phone.

FML!!!!!

I am seriously doubting my decision to move over to Virgin Mobile from T-mobile. I had t-mobile for 9 years and never had a single problem with them except that their coverage stinks and I was sick of paying $188 bucks a month.

Upvote 0
Day 3:

Second HTC EVO V 4G and still no phone service.

This second phone still fails to connect to the network, giving me errors# 131 and every once in a while error 1012.

I've spent more hours on the phone with people from India that keep telling me to do the same thing over and over I am going to lose my mind.

I've had my issue sent up to the "so called" next level of tech support 3 times and have still heard nothing back.

Why can't I talk to somebody that will even ask me a common sense question about my phone or answer my common sense questions? They are all robots that do nothing but read instructions off of a stupid screen. That aren't even updated for this new phone.

FML!!!!!

I am seriously doubting my decision to move over to Virgin Mobile from T-mobile. I had t-mobile for 9 years and never had a single problem with them except that their coverage stinks and I was sick of paying $188 bucks a month.

I feel your pain. I went through all off that except I did not return the phone. It will work eventually. Make sure you do the Factory Reset (Not the ##CLEAR# reset) it will start your phone back to zero and Wifi and 4G will be off.

Upvote 0
i had this problem then i remembered this problem when i activated my OV a year and a half ago.... turn off your wifi and probably your 4g too... it needs to connect to virgin's data network for activation to work

let me know if this helps
good luck!

Thanks, for the help. I did both of those things with my first phone. No luck there. From looking at the Virgin Mobile USA facebook. Looks like there are lots of people getting the same errors. Funny thing is when I google the error numbers I get threads about this phone on the sprint network.

Upvote 0
I feel your pain. I went through all off that except I did not return the phone. It will work eventually. Make sure you do the Factory Reset (Not the ##CLEAR# reset) it will start your phone back to zero and Wifi and 4G will be off.

I did the factory reset by holding the volume down button and power button to turn the phone on yesterday also, and that didn't help either. But I thank you for the suggestions.

Upvote 0
Finally, my activation problems got solved this morning!! :) I didn't have to do any kind of resets or anything drastic like that. I just patiently dealt with the VMCS reps on the phone and it got taken care of. It is very good possibility that when I initially tried to activate it, the phone was turned on. I now know that is a definite no-no.

Upvote 0
I can't emphasize enough on the fact that the phone needs to stay off until you are done with the full activation.

If you are moving your current VM line to this phone, Make sure both your current and new handsets are off and you've already changed your plan prior to this change.

If porting, Just keep the new phone off until your current handset is no longer functioning*.

*Successful port in(Try a call on your old handset): If it's GSM it'll say something like "SIM not provisioned" and if it's CDMA it'll just either drop the call or say something like "This account cannot be validated".

Upvote 0
I can't emphasize enough on the fact that the phone needs to stay off until you are done with the full activation.

If you are moving your current VM line to this phone, Make sure both your current and new handsets are off and you've already changed your plan prior to this change.

If porting, Just keep the new phone off until your current handset is no longer functioning*.

*Successful port in(Try a call on your old handset): If it's GSM it'll say something like "SIM not provisioned" and if it's CDMA it'll just either drop the call or say something like "This account cannot be validated".

What if I didn't leave the new phone off before the port was successful? I've tried factory reset, hard reset, etc (everything listed in any thread I can find) but I still just get 131 and 1012 errors.

Any idea what I need to do? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I finally got mine activated Saturday after about six calls to VM. Apparently I finally got someone who knew what to do on the provider side. I saw the 131 and 1012 errors many times earlier and tried factory resets and EPST resets with no luck. I chose troubleshooting or tech support when I called VM and said I was told features were not activated on my phone. After about an hour on this call, it finally activated. PRL update failed, but I moved to an area with better coverage and performed PRL update and Update Profile successfully.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones