Can't Add City to Weather Widget!General

Last Updated:

1. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I'm not sure why, but the weather widget says that my city doesn't exist. :( I want to put it to Apple Valley, CA but nothing comes up. I checked the 3 nearest cities and they all did not exist either (Victorville, Hesperia, and Barstow). Can anyone else try adding the city to theirs and see if it pops up for them? I wonder if it's a bug with mine. Thank you!

Advertisement
  2. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

Don't work for me either. Is your location setting remotely close to your actual location.
  3. skimanb2333

skimanb2333 Member

does the current location feature work for you?
  4. Vihzel

My actual location right now is Bloomington, IN, which pops up on it. I don't understand why a whole area of cities would not exist in the system. :( I guess my nearest location will have to be like 40 minutes away from me... but even there, the weather is quite different. Oh well, I hope maybe it'll figure out where I am once I am actually there.
  5. android_freak

android_freak Well-Known Member

Someone has told me if it doesn't find it, once you actually go to that area it will let you add it. Wierd I know...
  6. Vihzel

Oh ok. I'll keep my fingers crossed! Thanks :)
  7. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

HTC has a pre-determined list(flat file or db) of cities. If your city is not on the list, you cannot add it to the weather widget.
  8. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

You can't add any more cities onto HTC's data base. Just check the "Use wireless network" option for location, and it should bring up your current location.
  9. kenyu73

kenyu73 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the primary location should be using "Location" services, the others in the HTC file are only large locals, like NY, LA, etc.
  10. kenyu73

There are other apps you can download, like WeatherBug, that have more realtime locations.
  11. CrystalClear

CrystalClear Member

I asked about this yesterday at a Verizon store. She wasn't surprised by the question. Said it's happening to everybody in our area and saying a particular town because there is a Verizon switch there and it "thinks" the phone is in that area instead of the real location. She said some have somehow successfully changed it to the correct name (not sure how when not in the last, maybe my using location?), but after a few minutes it defaults to the wrong wrong, like it's not a permanent fix. The wrong name keeps coming back. So whether that's right or not, just thought I'd throw that in there.

I have tried the "use my location" thing in some setting (can't remember now where it even was) and that didn't make any difference, apparently.

the Verizon rep said to just use a different widget but I wanted this one specifically for the weather animations. I wonder if there are any similar but free? I really want this to work right.
  12. fish2587

fish2587 Well-Known Member

yeah my city did not come up but when i chose it to use my current location, it didn't have a problem recognizing where i am. haven't had a problem since i first got it.
  13. docp

docp Active Member

the choice of cities is rather poor. i'm living in NY right now and it comes up fine but besides Buffalo, there is hardly any support for the cities and other towns in Western NY. kind of annoying because i could pick up local whether with previous phones.
  14. CrystalClear

CrystalClear Member

Could you describe how exactly to get to this setting? I've done something like this before but am not finding it now and maybe it wasn't the right spot to being with! There is maybe still some hope for it to work. Thanks :)
  15. kenyu73

You also want to make sure your GPS is on and available. If not, the phone will default to the nearest cell tower location or WiFi hub.
  16. subar

subar Member

theres alot of city that you cant add! which sucks! HTC step your game up