• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't add Google & Exchange accounts with same email address username

dgt

Lurker
Sep 5, 2016
I'm brand new (3 days) to Android after years on the iPhone. My interest in switching is for another post, but at this point I need to get up and running and am hitting a brick wall. Please help!

I have a Google Apps account using my email address as its username. I used to run all my email, contacts, etc. through it before migrating to Office 365. I keep the old account for access to historical data that didn't get migrated and because it serves my many other Google services like Adwords and Adsense. But the domain MX, etc. records were disconnected to move email services off to another provider - Microsoft Office 365. So all that said, the Office account also has the same email address as its username.

I wouldn't have expected a problem - I've had an iPhone and iPad connected to both accounts simultaneously for two years. However, Android is telling me I can't add the exchange account because it'd be a duplicate account / username is used by another account)(my Google account)

I typically use Microsoft Outlook as my mobile email app. I noticed in Samsung's contacts app, outlook has exposed all my Exchange/Office 365 stored contacts. However, in Samsung's Calendar app that's not the case. I like to use third party calendar apps at times, and I'm used to having direct access to it on the iPhone. (It's useful for things like Waze, whose calendar sync pulls from the phone's connected accounts).

BTW it generates this error whether I try to add the account via Settings > Accounts, or the Calendar > Manage Calendars > Add Account.

Please help if you can. This is a show stopper for me and I have no experience with Android with which to try and fix this. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active on AT&T. Happy to answer any questions if the above explanation or my use case doesn't make sense.

Thanks!
Dan

I don't use a Samsung device, but I do have a similar situation on my Nexus 6.
Here's what I would suggest (this works for me).
Use the outlook app to connect to Office 365. Use the Gmail or Inbox app to connect to your Google account.

I use the "Contacts" app by Google - and that allows me to only show the contacts from one or more of the accounts that I choose. So, I could have outlook/gmail/GApps/Skype/etc accounts on my phone, and only display contacts from outlook and GApps (for example). I'd guess that the Samsung app also has a similar feature.
Same thing with Calendar (by Google).

Upvote 0
Yes. Sorry maybe my original post wasn't clear.

I have outlook installed. It works great.

I need some of my exchange data -- its calendars -- accessible to other apps, like the system/Samsung calendar app. It seems the only way to do that is to add the exchange account under settings and accounts. But if you have a Google account of the same username, it won't allow adding an exchange account of the same username.

Upvote 0
I am not sure about the same name. I have an Outlook account logged in on Exchange that has the same handle as my Google account and email works fine. I think you already tried adding it on the stock Email app and using the options there for syncing right? And it did not work?

A suggestion I can give is open the account on your PC and give it an alias on Outlook, then login on the phone using the alias. An alias on outlook is a second email name, for example your exchange email is email1@outlook.com. You can give it an alias as email2@outlook.com that actually opens up the same account.

Upvote 0
Old thread but I just solved this on a Note 9 by removing the conflicted Google account 1st. Then added the same user name as an exchange account. Afterwards the Google account with the duplicated username was added back. Worked fine. Hope it helps someone.

Side note; I also have two Google usernames. The one without a duplicate exchange username was left active while the above procedure was carried out.

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones