• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Can't figure out how to build server side app

itaiedri24

Lurker
Jun 27, 2014
Hello,

I'm building an Android app, which is a multi-player game as follows:
Each client has its own friend list whom he can invite to play.
Assume 2 players are playing. Each one receive a few questions, and when they finish answering them they pass the answers between them.
I wrote the server side in Java on my local PC using GCM (Google Cloud Messging).

Now, the project is a pure Java app, so I could run it on my computer with no problems.
I'm looking for a host to run this code. I have been searching for 2 weeks now, and after looking into Google App Engine, Openshift, GODDADY and Amazon, I noticed they all support web-app, which is building a website.
I just can't see the connection between my need and what those services serve, so I believe there is something that I am missing.

How can I develop a server-side app for my android app and deploy it in a hosting server?
Should I use a web-app although there is no need for me for a website?

I would really appreciate a well described and detailed answer since I am really losing my mind here...

I don't know what you mean by running my server like an apache server (I'm just a bit familiar with apache), but it is defenitly not a web server. I just hit the "run" button on eclipse.
The code is taken from here: https://developer.android.com/google/gcm/ccs.html

It is a simple 3rd party server for communication with GCM.
Maybe running it with apache can help me? How can I do that and where can I host my server-side app?

Thanks for you answer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones