• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't Find a Message Attachment Picture

startac4

Apr 13, 2020
I received a text message with a picture attachment on my backup Galaxy J2 phone. I wanted to print on my computer - I selected SAVE on the picture on the phone. But when I connect the phone to the computer (to copy it so I can print it) it doesn't show it anywhere. If I go to Gallery on the phone it shows the picture in Pictures tab. But when the phone is connected to the computer there isn't any Pictures folder.

The phone connected to the computer shows pictures that I took some time ago. On the phone those pictures are in the Pictures tab. Those pictures show up on the computer in Card -> DCIM -> Camera folder. But not the saved picture that was the message attachment.
Where did Android put the saved picture?

check your download folder on your phone. also if your google photo's are sync'd and you have the picture downloaded to your phone, the picture should also show up in your google photos. as long as it has been sync'd on your phone, it should appear when you go to google photos in your browser on your pc. you can then just download from there.....no need to hookup your phone.

Reactions: olbriar and mikedt
Upvote 0
I received a text message with a picture attachment on my backup Galaxy J2 phone. I wanted to print on my computer - I selected SAVE on the picture on the phone. But when I connect the phone to the computer (to copy it so I can print it) it doesn't show it anywhere. If I go to Gallery on the phone it shows the picture in Pictures tab. But when the phone is connected to the computer there isn't any Pictures folder.

The phone connected to the computer shows pictures that I took some time ago. On the phone those pictures are in the Pictures tab. Those pictures show up on the computer in Card -> DCIM -> Camera folder. But not the saved picture that was the message attachment.
Where did Android put the saved picture?

if you open the picture in Gallery, and tap on Details, that will tell you the location of where it's stored. If it was received as a text message attachment, I suspect it's in the Download folder.

DCIM and Camera are usually where photos that you've taken are stored.

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thank you for your comments...and now on the phone I found My Files -> Images -> Download and the picture is there. But if I go to the picture directly from the text message, it shows it in Pictures tab. But when connected to the computer it does NOT show it in Pictures folder. But now that you pointed me to "Download", I see it when connected to the computer in Download folder.

I expect this frustrating confusion is because Android development people either don't talk to each other (each one has "his own" piece) and/or they are severely lacking in system design management who see and review that the different pieces fit together coherently.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones