• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't get past Droid screen

hypermommy

Apr 30, 2010
Hi all,

My Incredible died a few months ago. I replaced it with an LG Ally which I hate! When it died, it seemed to be related to the battery charge dying completely. At least that's the best I could tell.

Today I pulled my Incredible out again (because did I mention I hate the Ally?) and decided to give it another try to get it back working again. I did the VolumeDown/PowerKey thing (I think that's the buttons) to get it to the white screen where I could clear data. Did that a couple of times. It'd get to a screen that has a yin/yang looking set of arrows and a progress bar which seemed never to move. Eventually the phone reboots itself back to the white HTC Incredible screen. Then it goes through the "Quietly Brilliant" screen. But when it gets to the red and black screen with the eyeball that makes the phone say "Droid", it freezes up. Animations just stop on the screen and it reboots itself and stays stuck in this cycle.

I tried to do the safe boot thing by waiting until I get to the "Quietly Brilliant" screen (boy does it take a while to get there) and pressing the VolumeDown and round button on the screen side of the phone thing (the button between the four hardcoded buttons.. hope I'm being clear). Never went into any safe mode and when it got to the red and black Droid screen, it again froze.

If it matters, I have done all of this without the SD card in. I hesitate to put the SD card back in because I don't want to lose data, but if I have to, then I can.

I've never tried to root this phone and have no idea what really happened or what to try next. Any ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones