• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help can't remove corrupted address from mail autocomplete

heahboy

Dec 15, 2011
I have a strange issue I can't figure out. When I go to compose a new email and I tap the To: field and begin typing a specific name the autocomplete keeps finding the correct name but with a corrupted email address. It actually brings up 2 identical entries, both with the same corrupted email address. For example, if I begin typing John it will bring up
(John Doe johndoe@tx rr.com). The problem is that John Doe's correct email address is really (johndoe@tx.rr.com) with a dot between the "tx" and "rr". Bottom line, I want to delete that corrupted email address for John Doe. It's easy to do on a PC running Outlook because all you have to do is highlight the incorrect entry and hit "delete" but I can't figure out how to do it in Android. I don't have any contacts that I know of which would have the corrupted email address so apparantly I manually typed it wrong one time and it keeps remembering it. I just want to delete it so I don't accidently keep selecting it!! Can anyone help me? Thanks!

I have a strange issue I can't figure out. When I go to compose a new email and I tap the To: field and begin typing a specific name the autocomplete keeps finding the correct name but with a corrupted email address. It actually brings up 2 identical entries, both with the same corrupted email address. For example, if I begin typing John it will bring up
(John Doe johndoe@tx rr.com). The problem is that John Doe's correct email address is really (johndoe@tx.rr.com) with a dot between the "tx" and "rr". Bottom line, I want to delete that corrupted email address for John Doe. It's easy to do on a PC running Outlook because all you have to do is highlight the incorrect entry and hit "delete" but I can't figure out how to do it in Android. I don't have any contacts that I know of which would have the corrupted email address so apparantly I manually typed it wrong one time and it keeps remembering it. I just want to delete it so I don't accidently keep selecting it!! Can anyone help me? Thanks!

thats wired haven't experience that problem :thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm using the email app on my esteem that says "email" and looks like an Outlook icon. I have 2 different accounts configured; my personal Road Runner (POP) account and my work (Exchange) account. There aren't any options that I can find to "clear the email data". Please explain the steps through the menu to do that. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have "cleared the data" from the email app, recreated both my email accounts and the problem still exists. The corrupted email address still comes up. Not sure what to try next or if I should just live with it and forget about it.

Then it may be tied to the email account. Try going to the account on a computer and edit the email of the person that's giving you this problem

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. From what I can determine, it's caused by the Gmail App, not correctly handling the contact out of my Exchange Account.

I just got the Droid Razr Maxx. My old original Droid, had no issue like this.

When the Gmail App pulls the address from my Exchange contacts, it mangles the email address. It makes it worse, once you leave the "To:" field and go to the subject field. It's not translating the "display as" field from Exchange.

This doesn't happen with Gmail contacts, just contacts that come from my Exchange Contacts list.

The Droid Development team needs to address this bug.

Upvote 0
My phone pulls from two contact lists, Outlook and Gmail. In both of those systems the addresses are fine, but when I go to write an e-mail in Gmail on my phone (Droid Razr Maxx) I get things like
Code:
John Doe <"John Doe (jdoe@email.com)" <jdoe@email.com>>
And of course, these addresses don't work. If I scroll through them enough I finally come to ones that work, usually found in the "Other" slot of a contact. No idea what to do about these. In the Contacts app this address appears as the last option in a long list of working options, but it's the first choice presented when I go to write an email. And when I go to edit the contact, the weird address doesn't appear at all. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I too had the same problem. I found the offending misspelled email contact as follows. Go to Gmail account on web via my desktop computer. Pulled up Gmail contacts there was another list of 'other contacts' that do not synch to my contacts on the phone or anywhere else but the offending email address was in there and I was able to delete it via the desk top. Then when the account automatically synched to my phone the autofill email address was gone. It was an easy fix but hard to find and very annoying.

Upvote 0
Thank you, Schobert101! Worked like a charm. How that crap got into my 'Other Contacts' list is baffling. Your instructions were spot-on.

The trouble that I had wasn't with my Gmail - it was with the stock POP3 email client. Once the Gmail 'Other Contacts' were removed the auto-complete issue went away. I must be syncing with Gmail contacts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones