• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help can't send SMS tried everything I can think of.

mrwhite06

Jul 23, 2015
Hi
Thanks in advance for reading this :),
I'm using a galaxy s4 i9505, running cm11 nightly at the mo, iv been using cm builds fine for many months and had no serious problems, but now I cant send txts, I just get a failed message every time, I can receive txts And make calls just can't send em... I know the smsc number right, but no I have the correct smsc number via *#*#4636#*#*, and a correct APN, iv called Vodafone to make sure its not a problem on there end. This all seemed to happen when I slowly started removing Google apks, removed all but 1 and it was all working fine, then I thought why not remove them completely who needs google, Google services Framework was then removed :thinking:, everything worked fine until I tried to txt, iv formatted/cleared All cache. Iv installed various builds with the corresponding gapps package, but I still cant txt.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Hi
Thanks in advance for reading this :),
I'm using a galaxy s4 i9505, running cm11 nightly at the mo, iv been using cm builds fine for many months and had no serious problems, but now I cant send txts, I just get a failed message every time, I can receive txts And make calls just can't send em... I know the smsc number right, but no I have the correct smsc number via *#*#4636#*#*, and a correct APN, iv called Vodafone to make sure its not a problem on there end. This all seemed to happen when I slowly started removing Google apks, removed all but 1 and it was all working fine, then I thought why not remove them completely who needs google, Google services Framework was then removed :thinking:, everything worked fine until I tried to txt, iv formatted/cleared All cache. Iv installed various builds with the corresponding gapps package, but I still cant txt.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Hello and welcome to Android Forums mrwhite06 :)

Sorry to learn you are having problems with your S4 on CM-11.

Providing that you followed, "best practice", when flashing or modding, you could just restore the last known, "good", nandroid backup you made, via your custom recovery.

Failing that, you will need to reflash the stock Samsung firmware, re-root and install a custom recovery and re-flash CM-11.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums mrwhite06 :)

Sorry to learn you are having problems with your S4 on CM-11.

Providing that you followed, "best practice", when flashing or modding, you could just restore the last known, "good", nandroid backup you made, via your custom recovery.

Failing that, you will need to reflash the stock Samsung firmware, re-root and install a custom recovery and re-flash CM-11.
Thanks the stock firmware was going to be my next try I was trying to avoid downloading a 1,5 GB package as iv only got 3/4G. Was thinking there might be another way. I'll let u no if it cures my problem when I can get on some WiFi an download it. Cheers

Upvote 0
Thanks the stock firmware was going to be my next try I was trying to avoid downloading a 1,5 GB package as iv only got 3/4G. Was thinking there might be another way. I'll let u no if it cures my problem when I can get on some WiFi an download it. Cheers

I'm guessing that you did not follow, "best practice", and make any nandroid backups. :eek:

Stock Samsung firmware is in a .tar file that is downloaded to a PC and flashed via Odin. ;)

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that you did not follow, "best practice", and make any nandroid backups. :eek:

Stock Samsung firmware is in a .tar file that is downloaded to a PC and flashed via Odin. ;)
Lol yea I no I did once apon a time but I deleted the file and didn't make any more, trust me after this as soon as its sorted I'll be backing things up asap. Cheers

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Hi
Well I have a little more to add to the SMS arse ache ;), iv installed three different stock ROMs for my phone and the problem persists on all of them. Could this be a sim fault do u fink?, I really need to find a friend on a different network with a micro sim and they can then try it in my phone. Cheers

Upvote 0
I would make my first port of call with a call to my network service provider and check that there is not a problem their end with sending text messages from your account. It can happen and would explain why this has seemingly carried on over a number of firmwares. They will no doubt send you a new sim card as part of their standard procedure.

Upvote 0
I would make my first port of call with a call to my network service provider and check that there is not a problem their end with sending text messages from your account. It can happen and would explain why this has seemingly carried on over a number of firmwares. They will no doubt send you a new sim card as part of their standard procedure.
Cheers for the super fast reply, I did already call them and they say its all fine there end. I shall be calling to get a new sim card sent out. That's what I thought was weird totally fresh Odin installs and not luck

Upvote 0
Yea I use the one it automatically installs with the fresh install, I have also tried some third partie ones also ie handcent, gosms etc none of which worked. Thank god iv got whatsapp or this would have been a major problem.

If no apps are sending SMS, then I would refer to post #7. I have known carriers to be at fault. Get them to check their end out and run some tests, first.

Upvote 0
Lol give me a set and I'll try it this week we can go half's on the winnings ;) when I called I knew it would be long winded so I just said I want a new sim and I have a faulty one she said OK I'll be there tuesday, when I called last I was struggling with the accent an had already tried all the steps they had advised, this time I turnt a 15min call into a 30 sec call

Upvote 0
So for the final words on this no sending texts problem, after much head scraching, formatting, reflashing and angery thumb action. I received a replacement sim took a while to get it connected but once it was straight away I was able to text :) . all this trouble and my contract is up in 7 days,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones