• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cant view picture files on PC

Buggy24

Lurker
Dec 18, 2012
When I plug my Galaxy Note 2 to my pc so I can transfer picture, or video files. I cannot see what they are without clicking on them. Any ideas? Well.....I guess I cant post a pic, because Im a new user. So hopefully someone gets the idea of what I am saying.

:thinking:

When I plug my Galaxy Note 2 to my pc so I can transfer picture, or video files. I cannot see what they are without clicking on them. Any ideas? Well.....I guess I cant post a pic, because Im a new user. So hopefully someone gets the idea of what I am saying.

The same thing happens to me in Windows XP. I've installed the USB Drivers from Samsung and it still doesn't work. Tried changing modes from MTP to PTP and it doesn't make a difference. It's not the cable because I can boot into Ubuntu and transfer everthing just fine. Anything we are missing?

Upvote 0

Do you mean you can see the icon but not the pic thumbnail? If so do you have Windows 7? On File Explorer, under Organize, under Folder and search option, under View, is always show icon, never thumbnail checked? If so, uncheck it.

Upvote 0
It is starting to bug me as I have more and more pics on the phone. So now I just copy everything to the PC and select the do not overwrite always option. It should be okay because the file name has date and time stamps on it, so they will never be the same.. unless there is a time wrap. :p

Yeah, thats what i've begrudgingly have started to do as well.

Upvote 0
The old way you would need to put the phone into USB Storage mode to view it like a thumb drive. This would prevent the phone having exclusive access to those areas.

This way the the phone still retains full functionality while plugged in at the expense of some explorer functionality

I don't know move is a general Android one or just Samsung specific but it allows full file navigation and only interrupts phone functionality on a file or folder basis.
Kies gives you full thumbnail view but it's still bulky though a lot less quirky and crash prone than it used to be. It even now starts up in under 2 minutes.

And yes, If I have a bunch of photos I want to assess on the PC I copy them over to a temp folder first. That or use Airdroid or Kies Air.

Upvote 0
It's not the worst I have seen but my experience is limited as far as installable windows interfaces for phones go. It has improved in leaps and bounds in the last few months for speed, resource hoggage and usability (and that with minor interface changes, the speed helps). The recent addition that just screams professionalism and a company big enough to afford some measly rights to me is that for full video experience you need to install.... MyFreeCodecPack 1.0 Beta

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones