Captivate Vibrates and returns to home screen automatically.

Last Updated:

1. Mark1987

Mark1987 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've been experiencing a problem where the phone vibrates in short pulses and returns to the home screen. The home button also vibrates at the same time. It hasn't happened much maybe 7 times or so since Sunday. Curious what it could be.

Anyone else experience this?

Advertisement
  2. disc

disc New Member

I to have had this experience. I am going to take it back to AT&T tomorrow and try for a replacement - since it is hard to duplicate on the spot - i'm not sure how it will be handled.

3. immortel

immortel Active Member

Yup, my first captivate did this. I had to return it and get a new one.

4. Mark1987

Thanks for the reply everyone, I get a replacement asap.

Was there any fee for the replacement?

5. dgray

dgray Member

Yes, this is happening to me too. The phone automatically vibrates and then returns either to Home screen or acts as if 'back' button was pressed.

So I am not the only one with this problem. Thanks for sharing. This phone needs to go back to AT&T.

6. Mark1987

It seems like almost no one has this problem. Maybe that's a good sign that it's just a few phones that have this problem and not a major issue with all phones.

Or maybe people just don't mind the issue.

7. Aftashok

Aftashok Well-Known Member

has it happened at all since the replacement?

8. immortel

immortel Active Member

Nope, not once. Seems very isolated to a few handsets.

9. Mark1987

Just came back from the AT&T store and got my replacement.

Will let you all know if problem persists.

Time to put download all my apps again :)

10. Aftashok

Aftashok Well-Known Member

well, mine is going back to the store tomorrow then! because mine seems to be even more drastic than the people ive seen complain, because it will do so for long periods of time if i dont press another button. the home button just flashes over and over, and using LauncherPro, it just switches from the 3 screen preview to home, over and over and over and over again....

11. Draxus

Draxus Member

I'm having the same issue, it's happened 4 or 5 times in my first day of (light) use. The phone will often spam the home button and vibrate even after returning to the home screen. I guess I'll be trying to get a replacement tomorrow.

12. rajendra82

rajendra82 Well-Known Member

Bad bottom buttons I think. Some reviewers also mentioned this issue with their units.

13. ajerman

ajerman Active Member

I'm curious about this, so I'm going to let it unfold for another week or two before I take any action. I can think of a handful of times when mine has done something similar, but it's so rare that I haven't found any way to reproduce it or verify that it even did something and it wasn't an accidental click by me. Or sometimes it'll lag and take a second to read your button clicks, then do a few at once. So I'd say I've seen it happen, but I'm not going to bring it in just yet.

14. immortel

immortel Active Member

Trust me, you would know if it was doing what we are talking about.

15. dgray

dgray Member

I agree. There is NO doubt what so ever when the phone automatically starts to vibrate and the Home button keeps on flashing with no user action, even as I just let it sit on the table all by itself. To make it stop, I deliberately press the Home button and then it stops.

The only thing is that the problem is intermittent and I cannot recreate on demand.

Also the degree of the problem varies - sometimes it is really bad as described above, and then other times it will simply go back to Home in the middle of doing something and the automatic vibrations and Home button flashing will stop.

It is indeed very annoying where I will be in the middle of reading something or using some app, and it will straight away take me to Home in the middle of my doing something.

16. norsairius

norsairius Active Member

I had this exact issue with my first Captivate. I went back to the AT&T store the next day and got a replacement and it hasn't happened since. I couldn't duplicate the issue on demand since it was happening randomly, but the employees at the store seemed to take my word for it. It might be a known issue that they've been hearing about, so they may not require you to prove that it's happening with this initial batch. I think some of the release handsets were just bad for whatever reason.

17. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

I had this problem happen once on Tuesday night and it hasn't happened again.

18. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Well-Known Member

I wonder if Advanced Task Killer and/or JuiceDefender would cause this.

My issue specifically is sometimes I hit the Back or Home button and the
    phone just sits there. I wait a few seconds and sometimes hit back
    again, other times, not. In both instances the phone pauses, then
    spams the back button (I can feel the rapid vibrations).

Not sure if this is just Lag or the same issue.

So far, I havent had the home button blinking/working all by itself yet.

Just what feels like keyboard buffering on a PC, then suddenly, all the
    "back" and/or "home" presses flood thru.

19. graysonrobb

graysonrobb Member

Mine was doing the same. Replaced it a few hours ago at the ATT store. I will let you know if the problem happens again.

20. martymcflysk

martymcflysk New Member

I have bought mine from Best Buy on launch day. I too have this issue and plan to get it replaced. I fortunately had my camcorder at hand when it happened last night and recorded it.

Since it does not happen consistently I can show them the recording.

21. Mark1987

Just wanted to give everyone an update after replacing my phone 4 days ago.

The phone has NOT experienced any vibration, and return to homescreen since I got the replacement phone. This is great news to anyone who has this problem with their original phone. Just get it replaced within the 30 day warranty.

22. jking2z

jking2z Member

I've had my phone for about a week and I have the same problem. I first thought I was maybe holding the phone wrong (not the sound like Steve Jobs) and was touching the bottom buttons by accident. My phone still does this, so I am off to the AT&T store now to exchnage it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

23. martymcflysk

martymcflysk New Member

Got mine replaced at Best Buy today. No crazy buttons since morning after more than 10 hours of use. Best Buy guy however gave me a load of crap on how Android apps are open source and could be causing this before agreeing to replace it.

24. dgray

dgray Member

Interesting that you got your phone from Best Buy. I too got my phone with this problem from Best Buy. I wonder if the lot that Best Buy got had this problem.

I have not yet got my phone replaced, but I intend to do that soon.

Good to know that folks who got their phones replaced don't see this problem any more.

25. pyrplhaze

pyrplhaze Member

my phone just did this to me. bought it from walmart yesterday and was praying it wouldnt have any issues. everything else is ok with this one exception (so far, at least!) i'm gonna give it a day or two and take it back if it keeps happening.

this forum is one helluva resource! i may become a regular on here soon enough!