• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate vs Windows Phone 7

Depends but if the Windows 7 phone has working GPS that would get my vote, it's a basic feature and there's no excuse for a broken GPS on a flagship phone.
mine works
CAP201010162222.jpg

Upvote 0
My point earlier is that your argument that Google is as bad as all the other companies might be true, but there is less evidence of it for comparison (and so I would stay away from it as a point of fact, and stick with the common knowledge argument-that you don't have to prove- that "that is simply how all businesses work."
True that there is less evidence. For now. But there is evidence. And it's simply inherent in a publicly traded company to choose profit over ethics, which I think we agree on to a certain extent. Sooner or later I suspect there will be questionable practices uncovered. Perhaps this is me being cynical but I've seen this time and time again.

I wasn't trying to argue against your point but rather kind of nudge you into a sharper argument...
Understood. That's what I took it as and appreciate the debate. :)

Upvote 0
Wm7 is windows last chance. Both at&t and T-Mobile were considering dropping all windows phones. So, that tells me that it wm7 fails, like all past version of Wm, then those companies won't carry Wm phones anymore.

As for captivate v iPhone, cap out sells IP4 3 - 1. I don't get where people claim that iPhone is "polished." Simple to use, yes, but still very buggy. The iPhone is like emo style or bubblegum pop music. They are trendy and do the job, but at some point you have to grow up and move to more adult things. Kind of like how Justin beber claims to be the Kurt Cobain of his generation.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
I was outside when it locked that particular time. But it still locks when I am in my car. Takes probably 20 seconds for a good lock and I have no problema

Only time I can get a lock in car is if I stop and stick my hand out the window, really practical.

I just can't recommend this to anyone that needs a GPS, so many users have issues there is clearly a problem.

Upvote 0
I would be careful about writing off Windows Phone 7 too early in the game. I think Microsoft has learned from past mistakes and also did its homework to integrate the phone into a lot of their current schemes. Not to mention how much integration this phone will have with the corporate world, something Android needs to work on a lot before it can really take on the iPhone and WP7.

The other item they have going for them is the future updates and/or enhancements of the product. Unlike Android, they won't be depending on the hardware vendor to pump out updates. Instead, the updates will be pushed out by Microsoft, just like Apple does today. This approach lessens the amount of time it takes to push out an update and also removes the vendor/carrier testing/tweaking that we see today with Android. One of the things that drove me away from Android was the delays with updates, particularly, the GPS issue. Samsung continues to drag its feet and also look at how long they've taken to get Froyo to the masses, although it was released at the time the phone was sold in the US.

Upvote 0
If Microsoft learned from past mistakes, Windows 7 would be perfect, or at least look/work less like Vista did and more like XP did. They've had plenty of time to get that right, but routinely give consumers the finger and just do something else anyway.

One of the biggest mistakes people make with companies like Microsoft (or Apple) is in thinking they are these company's "customers". Incorrect. The "customers" of Microsoft are its shareholders, not the consumers buying the products. The consumers are the tools to make the real customers happy. If something hurts or annoys the consumer, but makes money (and makes the customers happy), then the company will make the shareholders happy at the expense of the consumer. As it is, we are seeing Windows become little more beyond just a massive DRM delivery vehicle... because it earns money from the content providers.

Many would then argue that if they piss off the consumer too much, they lose sales and therefore lose money. Normally this would be the case, but not once you're big enough and have a monopoly. At that point, you can afford to screw over customers who often are locked-in and have no choice. Plus there are plenty of mindless sheep who think if it says Microsoft/Apple/whatever on it, it has to be amazing and worth their money.

Samsung might not be doing Android any favors, but companies like Motorola and HTC are setting the example and doing it right. Right now there's buzz because they're new and untested, and everyone has something about every platform they don't like so there is always hope that the future unknown will be "perfect". Once the buzz dies down though, the only Windows Phone fans will be the pre-established Microsoft fanboys, who are simply anti-Apple and anti-Linux.

Reactions: ZDroid1
Upvote 0
Wm7 is windows last chance. Both at&t and T-Mobile were considering dropping all windows phones. So, that tells me that it wm7 fails, like all past version of Wm, then those companies won't carry Wm phones anymore.

As for captivate v iPhone, cap out sells IP4 3 - 1. I don't get where people claim that iPhone is "polished." Simple to use, yes, but still very buggy. The iPhone is like emo style or bubblegum pop music. They are trendy and do the job, but at some point you have to grow up and move to more adult things. Kind of like how Justin beber claims to be the Kurt Cobain of his generation.

Before I start, I'm not looking to get into an Android vs Apple war, want to make that clear. The iPhone is a phone that works out of the box. Does it have glitches, sure, like any other phone on the market today. But look at the overall picture, from the end user perspective (the average user). You have a phone that ties into iTunes, from iTunes you can download music, videos, movies, etc. and sync them with your phone all from one spot. This experience alone is light years ahead of Android, not to mention that Apple's App Market has some good quality apps. Apple does a better job of controlling what gets posted.

The other area Apple seems to have a slight lead is with the corporate world, there are a lot of iPhone users in the corporate world. When I attempted to use my Captivate in this environment, I ran into several minor issues. One of them being connecting to Cisco WiFi at work, was never able to get the phone to work. This issue has been discussed in the forum before and I don't think anyone has found a way around it, hopefully, Froyo will fix that.

You also can't compare an iPhone 3G or 3Gs running IOS 4.1 to an iPhone4 running IOS 4.1, the difference is night and day. I know the older models are capable of running the newer OS with some limitations, as such is the case for the 3G, but from a performance perspective they are not up to par. The majority of the bugs and/or complaints you get today about this newer version of the OS comes from these users. The proximity and bluetooth issues have been resolved with 4.1 and 4.2 will ship in early November with even more fixes and goodies.

The nice thing about Android is that you can root and flash the phone with whatever ROM you choose to work with. Something the iPhone is not capable of matching in today's world. The additional flexibility is what catches the attention of many users who wish to experiment. With that said, this is a small portion of the end user market, most users are really just looking for a nice phone that works. The other thing I found frustrating with Android was the UI layered on top of the OS by phone vendors, adding to the overhead required to deploy an update or new OS.

I think Android will mature into a nice product, the potential is certainly there, unless Google drops the ball. I also hope Google creates some quality controls to monitor vendors that consume its products and force them to stay up to date as much as possible. If one is not careful, you can easily ruin the OS experience by simply going with the wrong hardware vendor, as such was the case for me with Samsung and the Captivate. The GPS issue drove me over the edge.

Upvote 0
If Microsoft learned from past mistakes, Windows 7 would be perfect, or at least look/work less like Vista did and more like XP did. They've had plenty of time to get that right, but routinely give consumers the finger and just do something else anyway.

Without deviating from true conversation, you can't compare Windows 7 to Vista, even running Vista w/SP2. Windows 7 is a more rounded OS and does loops around XP, and belive me I'm an XP lover, but I wouldn't go back to XP if you paid me.

Samsung might not be doing Android any favors, but companies like Motorola and HTC are setting the example and doing it right. Right now there's buzz because they're new and untested, and everyone has something about every platform they don't like so there is always hope that the future unknown will be "perfect". Once the buzz dies down though, the only Windows Phone fans will be the pre-established Microsoft fanboys, who are simply anti-Apple and anti-Linux.

You are absolutely correct on this one, Samsung is trashing the Android brand with how they have handled the Galaxy S so far. Their lack of updates to resolve the open issues and their poor handling of the GPS issue, gives the end user a bad impression and/or poor overall experience. On the other hand, like you said above, HTC and Motorola have been working aggressively to address the bugs and improve their products.

Upvote 0

Apple announced today that they sold 14.1 million iPhones in the quarter, don't see the Galaxy S coming anywhere near that. I believe the Galaxy S line has sold something like 5 million worldwide and they want to reach 25 million by end of the year, tough goal given we are only two months away. iPhone 4 sales in the US reached 8.4 million.

AppleInsider | Apple profits soar 70% on record sales of 14.1M iPhones, 3.89M Macs

iPhone 4 Vs Samsung Galaxy S: Sales results show Apple still way ahead - DeviceMAG

Upvote 0
Apple announced today that they sold 14.1 million iPhones in the quarter, don't see the Galaxy S coming anywhere near that. I believe the Galaxy S line has sold something like 5 million worldwide and they want to reach 25 million by end of the year, tough goal given we are only two months away. iPhone 4 sales in the US reached 8.4 million.

AppleInsider | Apple profits soar 70% on record sales of 14.1M iPhones, 3.89M Macs

iPhone 4 Vs Samsung Galaxy S: Sales results show Apple still way ahead - DeviceMAG

Your linked article says 5 million were sold in the US alone. Not worldwide. With a ratio of 5:8.4 I definitely wouldn't say apple is way ahead. Especially given apple lumps ALL (2) of its currently offered phones into that number. Sure you could argue the different variants of the Galaxy S count as different phones but they all cost relatively the same amount of money. Unlike the 2 iPhone iterations. Thus that tips the balance into apples favor. I bet at least a couple million if not more of that 8.4 are 8g iPhone 3gs's being sold. Allow Samsung to throw in one of their cheaper year and a half old phones and then we'll start talking numbers. I see winmo 7 taking apple users because how similar the UI's are. People aren't going to have to change to AT&T to get a minimalistic locked down shiny "works out of the box" smart-phone anymore. I swear bloggers are just dumbass people like the rest of us who seem to think their opinions are more important than everyone elses.

*EDIT* Your link had a typo it's 5 million worldwide as you said. 2 million in the US. Bah whatever.

Upvote 0
Endoran, numbers don't matter. I definitely want Android to succeed and be a competitor, that will be good for all of us who enjoy working and/or playing with gadgets. I brought up the number just to answer an earlier post, really don't care about how many units either company sells, just want a product that works. For me, Samsung ruin the Android experience but once my 2yrs are up with AT&T, I'll be making a jump back to Android again except not to a Samsung phone.

Upvote 0
My captivate is doing quite well, even syncing with Outlook well now (Companionlik)...

I'd go WP7 if it had better Outlook sync, VPN/Remote Desktop or Citrix and for my wife, yes angry birds.

As it stands, I like my Captivate...takes great video and pictures, does email pretty well and has a lot of very useful apps.

Upvote 0
WP7 is't bringing anything new to the table. Apple owns the "I have no idea how to use my device but it looks pretty" market, and droid owns the "I know how to do anything to my device and I can make it look pretty" market.

As it stands, my captivate with fixed GPS, froyo, screaming CPU, "artsy" background, etc is the envy of all my iphone friends(even my friends that own droids, really) and hasn't given me a single issue outside of one random shutdown that hasn't happened again in a few months. I have no good reason to switch phones, especially not to a software playing catch-up with the rest.

Reactions: sremick
Upvote 0
I remember the WinMo phone I had. It was a short lived time with that model. It may as well had been the same or worse than Windoze 3.1 on my PC.

I would like to see people understand that for a major OS upgrade, it requires a lot of testing and that when it's ready to be pushed out, it will be. I am patient and anxious enough to wait on the OS upgrade without throwing continual fits about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones