• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Car Charger Will not Charge

My HTC Incredible connected to car charger shuts down every time when I am using navigation. It will work for couple of hours, but then the battery drains and it stopped working. it seems to me the problem is that it will not charge fast enough. If the navigation is turned off it seems to be ok. But in navigation it uses more energy in navigation than getting it from the charger.

Any idea how to fix it?

Your charger probably doesn't put out enough current to compensate for the current being used by the device. You'll need a charger capable of putting out at least 1000mA (1A).

If it's a USB charger (i.e. the charger has a USB socket on it and you use a separate USB cable to connect to your phone), make sure that the resistance across the charger's pins 2 & 3 (the two inside pins on the USB socket) is 200 ohms or less; many phones use that low resistance to tell if it's connected to a high-current charger, and will thus draw more current. If the resistance across USB pins 2 & 3 is too high, the phone will think it's being charged from a computer's USB port, and thus will restrict its current draw to 500 mA, which is all a standard USB port will provide.

Upvote 0
Your charger probably doesn't put out enough current to compensate for the current being used by the device. You'll need a charger capable of putting out at least 1000mA (1A).

If it's a USB charger (i.e. the charger has a USB socket on it and you use a separate USB cable to connect to your phone), make sure that the resistance across the charger's pins 2 & 3 (the two inside pins on the USB socket) is 200 ohms or less; many phones use that low resistance to tell if it's connected to a high-current charger, and will thus draw more current. If the resistance across USB pins 2 & 3 is too high, the phone will think it's being charged from a computer's USB port, and thus will restrict its current draw to 500 mA, which is all a standard USB port will provide.

Thanks! that is probably true, I have USB car charger, but have no way to measure resistance.

Do you think the regular (non USB) car charger is any better?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones