• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Car Mode with Universal Dock

OfTheDamned

The Friendly Undead
Oct 29, 2009
Right Behind You
I've owned a few of the custom car docks for my phones in the past, but I hate having to buy new ones with each new phone. I have a universal one that I like right now and don't really want to get a different one. In the past I have always used Car Mode Control to switch into the default car dock app, but this doesn't work anymore with the Razr (Maxx) since Motorola changed the program name. So I started looking for a solution. I found a number of car mode apps in the market, but the good ones cost money and I still wanted to try the Moto app.

I found PhlashCut in the market which allows you to create a shortcut to just about anything on your phone, including Vehicle mode. All you have to do is open the app, scroll down to Vehicle Mode (there are 12 of them, just use the first one) and tap it. You now have a shortcut to the stock card dock on your homescreen.

Reactions: darkside06
Alright, just bought a universal dock today after work finally, and this has been bugging me all night. Great catch on how to get the car mode dock, works like a charm. The one problem I'm having is clearing the dock mode without rebooting. I've tried selecting menu>exit, which "closes" the program. However, when I lock the phone and walk away for a bit, I'll unlock the phone and the car mode is back up! Same thing goes with exiting the app and also running the Advanced App Killer.

Are you having the same problem? Or maybe found a fix already?

Upvote 0
Alright, just bought a universal dock today after work finally, and this has been bugging me all night. Great catch on how to get the car mode dock, works like a charm. The one problem I'm having is clearing the dock mode without rebooting. I've tried selecting menu>exit, which "closes" the program. However, when I lock the phone and walk away for a bit, I'll unlock the phone and the car mode is back up! Same thing goes with exiting the app and also running the Advanced App Killer.

Are you having the same problem? Or maybe found a fix already?

I'm not having that problem at all. Try removing the app killer.

Upvote 0
I found PhlashCut in the market which allows you to create a shortcut to just about anything on your phone, including Vehicle mode. All you have to do is open the app, scroll down to Vehicle Mode (there are 12 of them, just use the first one) and tap it. You now have a shortcut to the stock card dock on your homescreen.

Six days later and the app is gone from the market... WTH?

Upvote 0
Install Vlingo, set smart actions to launch Vlingo in car when any power sorce is coneected. when you put your phone in the universal dock smart actions will launch Vlingo in car as ling as you plug in the car charger. the second benefit is your phone is being charged whenever you are in your car. I don't know why but when I have my Razr Maxx plugged into the car charger it charges 4 x's as fast as a wall charger so it is very rare that I need to use a wall charger. get a universal dock with an adjustable goose neck and that ratchets the sides to hold the phone securely. i have my car charger fastened to the holder so the total time from slide of holster to docking the phone and connecting the charger might be 8 seconds tops.
I also have my 3.5 audi cable tethered to the dock so I can easily plug it into my phone which let’s Vlingo work through the car speakers as well as allowing you to use Pandora etc. from your phone (set car stereo to AUX) Last but most importantly this solves the problem of the phone not fitting the Motorola car dock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones