• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Caution / reminder about downloading the Android Market (Google Play)

alostpacket

Over Macho Grande?
Nov 29, 2009
NY
alostpacket.com
Hi All,

Just wanted to caution those who download the APK for the Android Market (now Google Play) from unknown sources.

The Android Market is one of the most important system apps on any Android device.

The Market application will have access to your accounts, and many, many permissions above and beyond what normal apps are allowed.

So when you see a link, in these forums, or on a Android news site, or anywhere else that points you to the Market APK, you should know the risks before you install it.

Be sure it's from a source your trust or that you understand and accept the risk you are taking. One precaution a lot of people take is to check the download against a Checksum, or MD5/SHA1- hash.

(For more info on hashes: Cryptographic hash function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

While we understand that some devices and ROMs do not come with the Android Market, and a fair number of users have decided to install it via third parties, I just wanted to remind people to be careful who you trust and use some caution when doing so.

I also believe the Android enthusiast communities out there are generally very good natured and unlikely to take advantage of this apk. But it's important to remember that it is not impossible that a few unscrupulous individuals will take advantage.

Also note these links might be deleted without warning. Other warnings may additionally be posted if someone posts a link to these APKs. Our policy towards linking to (free) APKs in general still applies.

Thanks, and happy and safe downloading :)

cheers,
-alp

(Note to mods/guides: this is a temp sticky. Feel free to PM me or unstick if it's not needed anymore)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones