• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich and Then Re-Root

InOneEar

Lurker
May 25, 2012
Here are my current specs:
Android version - 2.3.4 (Gingerbread)
HTC Sense Version - 3.0
Software Number - Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex
Kernel Version - 2.6.35.13-g277012f / htc-kernel@and18-2#1 / SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 12 15:59:16 CST 2011
Baseband Version - 1.06.00.1216
Build Version - 2.17.651.5 CL245066
PRI Version - 1.42_003
PRL Version - 21089

I first rooted my device in January 2012 without issue. I inadvertently upgraded the firmware and lost root. I then re-rooted the device in July of last year (Thanks to jerofld) and have not an issue since. The only reason I rooted my device is to get the wi-fi tethering functionality. The functionality works great but the only drawback is the speed. I basically get no more than DSL speeds.

I would like to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich (API Level 14 or 15). Is there a simply yet detailed tutorial to root a device running Ice Cream Sandwich? Will any of the specs I reference, excluding the Android version, change after I upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich? Finally, Is there a technique that will allow me to use the HotSpot functionality of my device without going through Sprint?

Hi inoneear. I am on my phone but I will try to be as detailed as possible. It sounds like you are already familiar with the complete newbie's guide. Just so you know that guide works with ics as well. I will try to simplify as much as possible though. You really won't need the full guide at this point.
I think I will just write in a bullet style list. I assume you didn't do the optional step of s-off? That would simply the re rooting process if you had but it's not a big deal.

-first since this takes awhile head here: Shipped ROMs and start downloading the Ruu. Get the one toward the bottom middle called: RUU_Shooter_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_2.89.651.2_Radio_1.09.00.0706__NV_NV_SPCS_1.43_release_271101_signed.exe

-also head here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
And download toward the bottom called: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.10.zip
Put that on your sd card for later

-while that's happening, relock your bootloader by issuing fastboot command fastboot oem lock

-just leave your phone in fastboot usb mode after issuing the last command. Run the ruu once it finished downloading. Follow the instructions provided on screen. Running it will take around 10 minutes or so. Once it's finished, you will be on the latest ota update completely stock and unrooted.

-when the os boots up, go into the settings and uncheck fastbootand eenabled adb/usb ddebugging again like before.

-boot into fastboot usb mode with adb reboot bootloader

-now using your same unlock code assuming you still have it, unlock the bootloader again with fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

-now we will flash recovery again: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

-now boot recovery: fastboot boot recovery.img

-now once in recovery, probably want to make a backup. Then flash the SuperSU file you downloaded earlier. This will add root access to your phone.

So after flashing that, you will be on the latest ota with root access. Then install wifi tether app to use tethering. Delete any bloatware you don't want and all should be good.

All of your numbers will change including the android version. It will all be updated to ics. Run the ruu is the equivalent of taking the ota.

Upvote 0
Then install wifi tether app to use tethering

Thank you very much, Brian. This is just the information I need to proceed. I do have a couple follow-up questions. In the previous root attempts, WiFi tether comes standard. With this method, will I have to install my own WiFi tether app? Also, will I be able to use my carrier's hot spot functionality with these instructions? If not, do you have a tutorial for that? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much, Brian. This is just the information I need to proceed. I do have a couple follow-up questions. In the previous root attempts, WiFi tether comes standard. With this method, will I have to install my own WiFi tether app? Also, will I be able to use my carrier's hot spot functionality with these instructions? If not, do you have a tutorial for that? Thanks.

There is an actual app on the play store called wifi tether. A lot of roms come with it pre installed. If not you can easily download it for free. It replaces the sprint hot spot. Basically you open the wifi tether app, and just tap the screen to turn it on. Usually you need to select a few options in the settings the first time so that it works. If you are trying to get around sprints wifi tether I don't think there is anyway to use the sprint app without paying them to use the feature.
Wifi tether is the alternative.

Upvote 0
Basically you open the wifi tether app, and just tap the screen to turn it on. Usually you need to select a few options in the settings the first time so that it works.

Right, I actually use this feature so I can use my wifi iPad on the road. The downside is the speed. I get no more than DSL rated speeds. The functionality is seamless and the connection is stable. Anything is better than nothing but I want more...selfish I know.

It replaces the sprint hot spot...If you are trying to get around sprints wifi tether I don't think there is anyway to use the sprint app without paying them to use the feature. Wifi tether is the alternative.

I am not sure about this. I believe I saw somewhere it was possible to set up the hotspot on a rooted device without going through the carrier (Sprint). For the life of me, I cannot think of where i saw that. If you are correct and there is no way to set up the hotspot without going through my carrier, I might as well stick with what I have until my two year contract is up in September.

Upvote 0
I am not sure about this. I believe I saw somewhere it was possible to set up the hotspot on a rooted device without going through the carrier (Sprint). For the life of me, I cannot think of where i saw that. If you are correct and there is no way to set up the hotspot without going through my carrier, I might as well stick with what I have until my two year contract is up in September.

You may be right. I have just not heard of anyone doing it. As far as I've known people use wifi tether

Reactions: Bossman82
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones