Charging through Computer USB!!!!Tips

Last Updated: 2012-05-03 17:17:06
  1. LunchBB

LunchBB Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    alostpacket and j510 like this.
  2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Does the data connection work while it's charging? ie, would ADB still be able to connect?

I would imagine so, but was curious if you already knew :)
  3. LunchBB

Oh never thought of that. Just noticed it won't have data connection while charging. I guess it's okay for me because I always use WIFI File Explorer and dropbox (with DropSync ) to copy files.
    alostpacket likes this.
  4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

There is a cable like that on DealExtreme.com and it has a switch for Data and Charging. A better solution IMO.

The one I am talking about also is just a USB extension, so you can use ANY charger.
  5. LunchBB

Do you have the link for that cable? That seems a good one with switch for data and charging. I wish I know about it earlier.
  6. alostpacket

I guess I just wondered if the USB port for a PC would provide enough power?

Ultimately I'd like to be able to test apps and charge at the same time so having adb work in kinda essential there :)

But that looks like it will work -- I may have to pick one up. I need to order a new pen from them anyways, lost my last one and it was pretty neat for $2.30
  7. Szadzik

You will not get any charging while using the Tab. It will discharge faster than charge.
    alostpacket likes this.
  8. wa3pnt

wa3pnt Member

I get a small amount of charge while using the Tab when the Charge/Data cable is connected to my laptop. I do not see a discharge in the battery level, as shown by the Battery Widget.

George
  9. Buddha64

Buddha64 Well-Known Member

USB output from a PC is limited to 0.5A. The Tab draws far more than that when you're using it. You're still discharging, just not as rapidly.
    alostpacket likes this.
  10. alostpacket

That's fine, as long as I dont have to switch cables. I can let it charge overnight, but would like to leave it connected to the PC and not have to bother with a wall charger.

:)
  11. Buddha64

To be clear... I've never heard of this "polarity" issue with the Tab 10.1. I would think it would have been highlighted over on XDA, but there isn't anything referencing it. And your link doesn't specify which Galaxy "tablet" this "adapter" is designed for. It could be 8.9 or 7, or even the old Tab.

What I have read is that, unless you are rooted/on a kernel which supports USB charging, you cannot charge from the USB. FYI - I use a standard USB cable connected to the "Tab to USB connector" I purchase from Samsung. Works fine.
    alostpacket likes this.
  12. Szadzik

Speculation, speculation. I know I did not say that in my previous reply, but I have this cable and have been using it for a few months now with great success.

As for XDA - that is exactly where I got the links to those cables from when I needed to buy one.

No kernel support is needed.
  13. Macz

Macz Member

14. Szadzik

15. lucasv1179

lucasv1179 Member

That the tab will charge on USB, only if it is turned off. Haven't tried it though.
  16. PavementPilot

PavementPilot Well-Known Member

I have tried using a car socket plug with usb port to charge my tab on the road. I will not work, and I can see it is either a polarity issue as noted above or the output of the usb car charger is not enough for the tablet.
  17. Szadzik

Just an adapter needed I posted about a few posts above.
  18. PavementPilot

PavementPilot Well-Known Member

I already have that cord, it came with my tablet. I tried using the car socket with USB ports, and it will not work. I am going to have to use either my big 1500 watt invertor or get a small 75 watt plug in invertor.
  19. Szadzik

I did not mean the cord that came with your tablet, I meant a special adapter that I posted a link to a few posts above.
  20. LunchBB

That cord comes with your tablet won't charge through regular computer USB port, nor any of the AC/USB adapter. It only charges with the AC/USB adapter comes with your tablet.

That's the whole point of this thread to get other kinds of cord to charge through regular USB port.
  21. Buddha64

I use mine for charging via USB port all the time. Just run a little script, and done, charges fine.
  22. LunchBB

Would you mind sharing your wonderful script?
  23. Buddha64

Just wander over to XDA in the Tab 10.1 forum. Search on USB Charging.

Alas, I don't have my Tab at work.