• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cheapest Used Phone With Great Camera

persistentone

Sep 4, 2013
I want an Internet-connected camera with the best quality at the lowest price. I do NOT want to connect the camera to a mobile network. I will attach it to the Internet through a local WAN.

My actual use case for this will be doing time lapse photos of various parts of my yard, trying to understand how the sun hits particular seating areas throughout the day, at different times of year. I will put the phone on a tripod and let the time lapse do its thing.

Given that I do not need or want the expense of a monthly mobile phone network charge, what would be some of the best options in a used phone for this application?

Interesting project you have mentioned here!

I have a neighbor who's always talking about his Blink cameras being cheap and having a great picture. I looked into them and remember a couple of people doing time lapse with them. I had already started installing Nest Cameras, so I never added a Blink camera.

I take it the phone would have to be plugged in to do time lapse given battery limitations? correct?

Upvote 0
Interesting project you have mentioned here!

I have a neighbor who's always talking about his Blink cameras being cheap and having a great picture. I looked into them and remember a couple of people doing time lapse with them. I had already started installing Nest Cameras, so I never added a Blink camera.

I take it the phone would have to be plugged in to do time lapse given battery limitations? correct?

Battery is an unknown. Could a good timelapse application put the phone into a low energy mode and then just wake up every 15 minutes? I could supplement the phone battery with a plugged in external battery, and I hope that would give me 24 hours.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones