• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chip ATM/Credit Cards...

Android Pay does the same, I get the alert before the clerk says 'do you want a receipt' or 'have a nice day'. My CC bank does send a text asking for verification if they think the charge doesn't look quite right. I told the kid to treat himself to a TV on my card when he moved to FL, I knew he had it before he called to thank me for it.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Chips are glorified RFID/NFC things like the amiibos.

Problem is, these chips broadcast everything they have to literally anything that will listen. If they supported two-way communication, they could have easily replaced Bluetooth based on their range and their need for power (or lack thereof).

Even in Europe where they first showed up, the mechanism was broken within hours of its debut. Now over there, a thief with the right kind of phone could simply run a listening app and just pick up any and every chip card within listening radius without ever having to approach the person carrying it.

Now you pretty much have to have everything in one of those metal wallets because they basically scream out everything on those chips like an unprotected WiFi signal.

Despite what a bank might try to assert, chip cards have no federal regulation mandating them. Otherwise there would be an ass-ton of fees attached to non-compliance by either the card issuer or the user. No, those chips are basically there so that retailers can explicitly (and without explicit consent) attribute any purchases on said card to you as a person. So, now not only do you have to worry about the card getting stolen, you have to worry about the merchant getting hacked because a thief that breaks in will get a whole lot more than just a bunch of credit card numbers they can run purchases with. On top of all that, even if nothing ever happens with your card specifically, the chip method has only served to make every transaction long, arduous and painful. What used to take all of thirty seconds to slide the magnetic strip and sign now takes a full five minutes because the things are so agonizingly slow.

You'd better believe I am furious for having this thing.

Upvote 0

Problem is, these chips broadcast everything they have to literally anything that will listen. If they supported two-way communication, they could have easily replaced Bluetooth based on their range and their need for power (or lack thereof).

To raise a point here, NFC has a range of less than an inch, and preferably the devices must be touching, e.g. a phone and EPOS terminal. So if you want to receive and listen to the the two-way communication with another device, it's got to be very close, like almost touching it

Bluetooth on the other hand has quite a large range in comparison, can be 20 meters or more, but then that's not used for financial transactions, usually it's just streaming music or something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Standard disclaimers: Am weak on electronic, strong on mechanical systems. Not here to question anyone else's judgement, just really want to learn. That said:
I have always noticed that after the initial few uses, the "chips" have definite swipe marks on them, evidently created by mechanical contacts. This lead me to believe that the chips were in fact not conventional RFID / NFC technology, rather something which required physical contact to transfer data. Am I simply wrong, and (perhaps more importantly) would a simple Google search have straightened me out? :rolleyes: Never really thought about any of this until I saw this thread, thanks.

Upvote 0
Standard disclaimers: Am weak on electronic, strong on mechanical systems. Not here to question anyone else's judgement, just really want to learn. That said:
I have always noticed that after the initial few uses, the "chips" have definite swipe marks on them, evidently created by mechanical contacts. This lead me to believe that the chips were in fact not conventional RFID / NFC technology, rather something which required physical contact to transfer data. Am I simply wrong, and (perhaps more importantly) would a simple Google search have straightened me out? :rolleyes: Never really thought about any of this until I saw this thread, thanks.

You are correct. Some cards do have rfid built-in; these are the "tap-to-pay" ones, but our focus is on the cards that have chips with mechanical access to eventually do away with stripes.

Upvote 0
There's always this option:

24de52382a9bae4e9f0b53ad20e9dadf_view.png

Upvote 0
Isn't that the same kind of chips that are in my dogs?
Have been ambivalent about this very use of the technology for some time now.

In a credit card / financial transaction, one obviously wants security; Information inscrutable to anyone not authorized, without the proper technology. Yet the technology should be nearly ubiquitous and inexpensive, at nearly every point of sale, without placing undue burden on merchant overhead. Any technology that fits that definition falls easily into the bad guy's hands, so the unique transaction identification number is a next welcome step.

When I first contemplated RFID chips in pets, years ago, I thought it was a terrible idea. If Fluffy or Rex is your pride and joy, and they go missing, you will likely feel that their "name, rank, and serial number" are mission critical bits of information. The kind of information that you want to fall readily to hand; Discoverable, legible, and decipherable to absolutely anyone, with no more technology required than a pulse and an early grade school education. The old technology persisted for generations for a very good reason.

I came to later accept that (in this example), the two techniques could be used in parallel, each having significant benefits over the other. They seem to come home often enough without their collars, and when that (comparatively limited, but essential) information is just sitting in the bottom of a ditch, it certainly does no good.;)

Upvote 0
I have had too many of my pets slip out of their collars and run off to play with the neighbor's dogs, or in most cases, chase the deer that just ran across our lawn..... yep, my big ole 125 lb St. Bernard snapped the leash, broke it in half, and ran off to catch Mrs. Deer.... she of course, can jump fences in a Single Bound, and he had to Run Around..... took my daughter and I over an hour to find him.... oh, I wanted to beat the shit out of him, but he does not even know why he is in trouble....

We now have two newer pets, the St. Bernard succumbed to a 12 lb tumor in his abdomen :(
so, we lucked into a beautiful female Great Pyrenees, white as fresh blown snow ( except when she can find a mud puddle ).

We need to chip them both, but it is sooo expensive around here.... but our Great Pyrenees is worth well over a $1,000 locally.... luckily we found her on a sheep farm, and they had too many puppies this year..... these dogs are raised to be left with the flock, they are not supposed to be pets... but ours is, and she is a very lovable doll.

she will be chipped, the other dog won't, she is not too far from doggie heaven.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones