• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ChompSMS vs. Handcent SMS

ChompSMS vs. Handcent SMS

• ChompSMS

Votes: 47 19.6%
  • Handcent SMS

Votes: 160 66.7%
  • Default HTC Messaging App

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have used Handcent ever since I got my first android phone (eris) but was just recently told about chomp. Chomp has worked so much better for me. I customized both chomp and handvent exactly the same and handcents color choices for the bubbles etc were much more "playful" (for lack of a better word) than chomps. Chomps colors were just bolder and I liked that better. Also, I would try to delete threads in handcent and it would freeze up and FC. Chomp deletes thread in a flash. I do like the quick reply from handcent tho. Is there an option for that in chomp?

Upvote 0
The quick reply is available in Chomp settings. I still have the early chomp version without the ads. I guess I never updated. I did pay the few bucks to get rid of the ads for my kid but both of us prefer chomp.
How do I activate that setting? I left handcent on my phone so that I could still use the quick reply, but would rather use chomps. thanks

Upvote 0
How do I activate that setting? I left handcent on my phone so that I could still use the quick reply, but would rather use chomps. thanks

Open chomp to the first screen (list of conversations) tap menu>settings Scroll down a little ways and you will see "Quick Reply Popup" You will have four choices, Always, Only when locked, Only when unlocked, and Never.

Reactions: birthofahero
Upvote 0
I have been using the stock messaging app, but just installed Handcent SMS tonight, to try it out.

So far I like it. Initial reaction is that it is a HUGE upgrade over the default android messaging app. But I have a question. Is there a way to delete INDIVIDUAL texts....rather than deleting the ENTIRE "conversation/thread"?

Seems like it's an "all or none" proposition....unless I'm missing something. In the stock/default messaging app...I could delete an individual entry without deleting an entire thread/convo. Hoping that is the case with Handcent as well.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have been using the stock messaging app, but just installed Handcent SMS tonight, to try it out.

So far I like it. Initial reaction is that it is a HUGE upgrade over the default android messaging app. But I have a question. Is there a way to delete INDIVIDUAL texts....rather than deleting the ENTIRE "conversation/thread"?

Seems like it's an "all or none" proposition....unless I'm missing something. In the stock/default messaging app...I could delete an individual entry without deleting an entire thread/convo. Hoping that is the case with Handcent as well.

Thanks!

Just long press the text you want to delete. A menu will pop up and the option to delete the message will be in it.

Upvote 0
I tried hancent and initially found it cool but then felt like I was in high school again whenever I would read all the color coded texts. Lol. I also got tired of the size of the pop-up window.

Overall a good product but these little things bothered me.

I use the stock in conjunction with sms pop-up.
But I have a question. Is there a way to delete INDIVIDUAL texts....rather than deleting the ENTIRE "conversation/thread"?

Yes there sure is. When the conversation is open, longpress the individual text you want to delete and you'll get the option to delete that particular text.

Reactions: Shadow_Rider
Upvote 0
Wow!!

Ok so I was fine with the stock message app, figuring it's just messages, who cares. After reading this thread I got Handcent. WOW! It's soooooooo much nicer with the popups, it's actually a lot quicker loading the chat windows, which you DON'T have to do every time because of the popups anyway. It really makes a world of difference if you text a lot. The customizations like the bubble color/text background pictures, etc. make a world of difference.

Message windows are something I never thought or cared about, but after getting Handcent, there's no way I'm going back to the stock messenger.

Thanks guys!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones