• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Choosing Website Hosting

Mehta23

Android Expert
Nov 28, 2011
England,UK
gadgetblur.com
So I'm looking ot set up my own blog site and I'm gonna do it using wordpress (unless theres something better) but I'm stuck on who to choose for hosting.

So far I've looked at A2hosting, siteground, bluehost, and a couple of others and they all seem to offer pretty much the same stuff, but I don't know enough to know how much the differences matter

Compare the Best Web Hosting Plans [Updated: Dec 2013]

If anyone has any thoughts/opinions, that'd be great! :D:D

If you're going to be using WordPress, you need to make sure they are using WAMP (Windows/Apache/MySQL/PHP) or LAMP servers (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) and in the proper versions for the install. As far as the other differences like backups, cloud storage etc, they probably won't make much difference in terms of reliability or operability, but it could make a huge difference in cost. If there are specific things that you are concerned about, just ask.

Will the host be the registrar of the domain as well? Most give you several email accounts, but there's not a standard number.

You most likely will be able to set it up on any of them assuming they meet the minimum requirements for WordPress.

Reactions: davoid and Mehta23
Upvote 0
According to PC Magazine's poll, Dreamhost was the one most likely to be recommended to a friend. Price isn't bad either - $3.95/month, including one free domain name (probably for the first year, but still ...)

Usually a host like that crawls on Wordpress (which isn't the most efficient code written), but they have a 97 day money back deal if you're not satisfied.

Reactions: Mehta23
Upvote 0
If you want to launch your own web server, I've been moving everything over to digital ocean.. complete root control on a VPS with really good pricing.

Currently I have 5 teamspeak servers and several hobby websites set up with digital ocean. It's a great way to shore up linux command line if you're not familiar with it either.

Upvote 0
I've been very pleased with IX Web Hosting for several years now. All of my domains are hosted there, and I have no complaints. In fact, I really LIKE them. They have actual human beings who not only respond quickly, but they UNDERSTAND how things work! (All my sites are on Linux servers...of course. :D) I can't recall now what it was, but some time ago I needed to do something at a Linux command line but didn't have the ability via lftp. I e-mailed them and someone there did it for me. :)

And WordPress works great--I've installed it on one of my domains and have had no problems at all.

Reactions: Mehta23
Upvote 0
I've recently got onto an 1&1 plan and I've been extremely happy - not just for the quality and the value but also with the customer service. I'm not exactly an expert so I decided on the managed hosting plan, which takes care of a lot of the hard work for me. Perfect solution in my opinion. They offer a range of packages for anyone interested and so it's definitely worth browsing what they have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones