• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Choppy MP4 playback

scotthva5

Lurker
Jan 5, 2011
I'm very disappointed in the Intercept's MP4 playback ability. I've tried every possible combination of bit rate (384-700), frame rate (23.97 - 30), resolution and codec (h.264 - FFmpeg) in both Handbrake and DVDFab 8 and I still get video that jumps around like Flipper on blotter. I've tried the default Android player, MixZing and a host of others with the same result. However HQ YouTube runs without a hitch...

I'm beginning to wonder if the external microSD throughput is just plain slow. I've noticed it takes *forever* to synch my iTunes library via doubleTwist and others to both a 16GB SanDisk card (a real one, not a cheap eBay knockoff) and the included 2GB SanDisk card. Has anyone else noticed this issue? I've even tried 3GP, 3G2 and WMV with the same results. My BB 8530 with a 300mhz slower processor ran these same MP4's flawlessly. I'm stumped. This is my first Android phone and so far it's multimedia capabilities are far from impressive.

I'm very disappointed in the Intercept's MP4 playback ability. I've tried every possible combination of bit rate (384-700), frame rate (23.97 - 30), resolution and codec (h.264 - FFmpeg) in both Handbrake and DVDFab 8 and I still get video that jumps around like Flipper on blotter. I've tried the default Android player, MixZing and a host of others with the same result. However HQ YouTube runs without a hitch...

I'm beginning to wonder if the external microSD throughput is just plain slow. I've noticed it takes *forever* to synch my iTunes library via doubleTwist and others to both a 16GB SanDisk card (a real one, not a cheap eBay knockoff) and the included 2GB SanDisk card. Has anyone else noticed this issue? I've even tried 3GP, 3G2 and WMV with the same results. My BB 8530 with a 300mhz slower processor ran these same MP4's flawlessly. I'm stumped. This is my first Android phone and so far it's multimedia capabilities are far from impressive.

My Maximum The Hormone videos play beautifully w/ default player. I'm gonna upload one to Megaupload and ask you to try it and tell me how it goes for you.

Here try this:
http://www.mediafire.com/?k6ajnwjg0zt1qjj
(Buiiki Kaesu, subtitled in English)

This is a 19meg file. It was downloaded directly from Youtube, using Download Helper (Firefox extension), not converted. The resolution is 480x272, audio 44100 stereo. The framerate is listed in VLC as 25. Audio codec is mp4a and video is avc1.

Upvote 0
I'm curious if anybody tried this yet. Perhaps my expectations for video quality aren't as high as the average person, but I think it looks pretty fantastic considering the Intercept is such a low-power phone. Honestly, I think the video couldn't look any better, at that screen size.

The speaker quality of the Intercept is pretty impressive too, for a crappy tiny phone speaker. Being able to play rock that heavy and still be at least listenable, at any volume, is pretty awesome.

Upvote 0
Like most smartphones Android suffers from "garbage."
That may be what is causing your choppy playback.
You can clean your phone with applications like "Android Assistant" or you can reboot your phone to clear out any waste.
Also, keep an eye on how much you have installed on your phone, if there is a lot of programs running in the back ground and the data transfer rate of your SD card if you are running the video from there.

Max Video Specs
400x240px
1500kbit/s
FPS 30

Max Audio Specs
160kbit/s
48000Hz

Codecs
H.264 - libx264
aac - libfaac

I have a VM Samsung Intercept and these are the max settings I can use without skips or other video problems. (base video player)

Remember, the Intercept is a low end Android, it dose not have the memory or power to just throw stuff at it. You got to keep it clean and turn off features you don't use or don't use often.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones