• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chrome beta in the market.

I can complain if I wish, and stop trying to be a d!ck. You need to lighten up. ICS release only is stupid considering 99% of the world has it. Go troll another thread. Thanks bye.

ICS only release is understandable, and a wise decision not a stupid one. ICS is the future, and this is a Beta test. There is no point in releasing Chrome for Gingerbread considering that in half a year's time, all relevant phones will likely have ICS already. This isn't intended for mass usage since its *I repeat* a BETA test. Considering the rather large recode from Gingerbread to ICS, making the ICS version first and ensuring future support is more important than making it compatible to an older Android version which will be left behind soon.

Upvote 0
ICS only release is understandable, and a wise decision not a stupid one. ICS is the future, and this is a Beta test. There is no point in releasing Chrome for Gingerbread considering that in half a year's time, all relevant phones will likely have ICS already. This isn't intended for mass usage since its *I repeat* a BETA test. Considering the rather large recode from Gingerbread to ICS, making the ICS version first and ensuring future support is more important than making it compatible to an older Android version which will be left behind soon.

Thank you, a well thought out post that I can respect.
Although I still think they should release a GB version as not all android devices will get ICS.

Upvote 0
Thank you, a well thought out post that I can respect.
Although I still think they should release a GB version as not all android devices will get ICS.

They should, but if I were the one developing, I'd not have it near the top of my priorities for reasons:

1. Making it work with ICS is more important

2. Nexus phones are on ICS now, except for the Nexus One which is old enough to be forgotten and left behind anyway.

3. Most of the remaining phones that will not get the Gingerbread update are manufacturer skinned, meaning it will be more difficult to get the app to work on them without problems, especially since its in beta stage.

The developers made a wise decision in making it work on the target first (ICS) and make the backport later when everything is working great. Porting it to GB now would be equivalent to making 2 apps at the same time since the app will have different problems on both platforms.

Basically, as Lefort1 had said, stop complaining and wait, especially when you seemed to just complain without thinking of the issues that may arise in developing for two differing OS versions. Its like asking a developer making a Windows 7 program develop a Windows XP version WHILE HE IS MAKING THE OTHER ONE AT THE SAME TIME. Make requests when the thing is done already.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones