• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Chrome Beta is stuck as permanent browser

DrewInc

Lurker
Aug 16, 2018
I installed Firefox and even the standard version of Chrome. Both work great, but unfortunately, Chrome Beta apparently doesn't won't to give up control. Even if I disable Chrome Beta or uninstall it completely, I still can't set another browser as the default. Instead, what I get when I click a link/url to access the internet is the message "Application not installed". It's like Chrome Beta has permanently set itself as the master browser default, even somehow after I have disabled or even uninstalled it.

Under Default Applications, Chrome Beta is not even listed, nor is any other browser listed. I even reset all app preferences under Manage Applications, which reset all my apps' defaults, and still the default browser seems to be hardcoded for only Chrome Beta. If you open Chrome Beta under the Manage Applications, it ironically shows that it has NO defaults set, which seems odd but tells me obviously something is amiss here.

So, I'm at a lost, I have no idea why this is happening or why I can't force another browser to be the default. I do have root, so if anyone has any ideas how I could possibly override this strange behavior, or any other suggestions, I'd love to give it a try.

Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910V) Android 5.1.1

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones