• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chromecast Causes TV Channels to Flicker

tclelek

Lurker
Aug 1, 2013
Hey Guys,

I've done a bit of a search and had no luck finding a similar instance so far.

Chromecast works perfectly on it's own, i.e. connecting to network, streaming content etc.

The issue I'm having is with my standard TV channels flickering, buzzing and randomly pausing to the extent that it's un-watchable when Chromecast is connected and turned on.

Now I've attempted plugging the device into multiple HDMI ports of my TV (Panasonic Viera). BUT I haven't tried a different TV just yet as an attempt to isolate the device or the TV as the issue (that'll be my next step).

In the meantime, has anyone else experience the same issues? Is it normal? Am I using it incorrectly?

Any information would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like RF interference.

Are you using the hdmi extender cable?

How about the charger and its cable? The one that came with it has a ferrite bead around it to cut down on that for the Chromecast.

Have you tried moving the power cable around?

If powering directly from a usb port on the TV, try a different cable - or going directly to the charger - could be a slight short somewhere there.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I'm having a similar issue.

Whenever my TV is set to my ps3 the screen starts to flicker. Goes black for a split second then back again. When i unplug the Chromecast from the other hdmi port, the flickering stops.

I've tried different hdmi ports, using the extension cable, when watching cable via Coax it doesn't flicker. Only the other hdmi inputs.

I turned off anynet on my TV. Didn't help.

Did you manage to solve your issue op?

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

Chromecast works perfectly on it's own, i.e. connecting to network, streaming content etc.

The issue I'm having is with my standard TV channels flickering, buzzing and randomly pausing to the extent that it's un-watchable when Chromecast is connected and turned on.

Now I've attempted plugging the device into multiple HDMI ports of my TV (Panasonic Viera). BUT I haven't tried a different TV just yet as an attempt to isolate the device or the TV as the issue (that'll be my next step).

In the meantime, has anyone else experience the same issues? Is it normal? Am I using it incorrectly?

Thanks in advance.

I also had Chromecast attached to a Panasonic Viera (42") and it caused the other HDMI port to spaz periodically.
I was not using the HDMI extender and was using the power adapter with the USB cable that came with Chromecast. In the other HDMI I have a DirecTV Genie mini and the sound cuts out at random intervals for a second or two. As soon as I unplug the Chromecast the issue goes away.
I have a new TV (Samsung) coming and until then I'll just plug in the Chromecast when I intend to use it and leave it unplugged the rest of the time.
Seems like this might be an issue with the Viera?

Upvote 0
I have a 46" Sharp Aquos and have been experiencing the same flickering on other connected devices.
At first I thought my Sharp blu-ray player was going out. After swapping HDMI ports, checking connections, and rebooting everything, I decided to remove the blu-ray. I was going to trash the POS, but thought maybe the other outputs were still OK, so I hooked it up to my bedroom TV. Lo and behold, it works perfectly using HDMI, so I thought maybe the Sharp TV and the Sharp blu-ray were having personal problems, and needed a trial separation.
A few days later, I started getting the same flickering on the Sharp when using the Xbox or the PC that's connected HDMI. At this point, I thought maybe the TV was on the way out. Check/swap connections, reboot everything, and it seemed to be fine. Later I found the sound was dropping out every few seconds (Panasonic home theater connected via HDMI to TV, sound connected via digital optical from TV). Removed the Chromecast, and everything is fine.
Now, when this problem first occurred I had the Chromecast powered via an USB port on the Sharp because it would reboot whenever the TV was powered up. I had occasional problems with the bedroom TV with Chromecast - no sound, unable to cast, etc. - requiring a reboot, and hoped this would eliminate the need for that. One of the first steps troubleshooting was to power Chromecast with it's own power supply, so now it's always on. Also, I have always used the dongle.
Though I would prefer just to replace the suspect Chromecast, it looks like the next step is to swap the two Chromecasts and see if the problem follows. My guess is there's just a bad batch of devices.
Update: I swapped my Chromecasts about a week ago or more, and I still have the same symptoms on the Sharp Aquos, which disappears as soon as the power is removed from the Chromecast. The bedroom TV, a Syntax-Brillian Olevia 32 inch, continues to work fine with the Chromecast always powered on via the adapter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah - so have any of you with the flickering problem - especially if you're seeing a difference on where it's powered from - try for example -

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-RT200-Receptacle-Tester/dp/B005GYBFAE/

81kxHdQu21L._SL1500_.jpg

You can also find those at your local hardware store, usually.

Or try it through a battery backup? That will remove unwanted power rippling.

Upvote 0
I am having a very similar issue. I have a new samsung TV - the unhu8550 - and when the chromecast is connected, sometimes it flickers to a blank screen for a second and then comes back - I think that maybe the TV will automatically switch to the proper hdmi port when it thinks that it is receiving a signal or something when it actually isn't....either way, this is very annoying...If anyone knows how to fix this i'd love to hear

Upvote 0
I am having a very similar issue. I have a new samsung TV - the unhu8550 - and when the chromecast is connected, sometimes it flickers to a blank screen for a second and then comes back - I think that maybe the TV will automatically switch to the proper hdmi port when it thinks that it is receiving a signal or something when it actually isn't....either way, this is very annoying...If anyone knows how to fix this i'd love to hear
Welcome to the forums!

Are you powering your Chromecast from the wall or a USB port on your Samsung?

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Yeah I had Chromecast plugged into Panasonic TV hdmi Slot and powered from wall socket and everything always worked great and then I decided to tidy up my cables and drilled a hole in the wall behind TV and another lower down adjacent to socket that was when the trouble started, I did not realize what it was at first until I accidentally left the Chromecast unplugged and every thing was good, so I can only presume that it was having all of the cables routed together that upset something because even if I now rout the Chromecast cable separately the issue still occurs so I do what was suggested on another post and just plug the chromecast in when needed

I did think about shielding the cable but it seems that that it has "infected" the Chromecast so it would be pointless

By the way I use OTA signal for TV

I may buy a second Chromecast but would be loath to use it on this TV in case that one got affected

I will monitor the forum to see if anyone has overcome the problem other than disconnecting

Upvote 0
Makes complete sense thankyou

Strange thing is that even when I separated the cables originally the problem was still there so I disconnected Chromecast then after reading your post a few days later I reconnected the Chromecast separately ( maybe they just needed a rest ) and as you say all is well, but of course I still have a visible cable which I will have to live with until I can try some shielded cable

Should I shield all cables ie. Power cable to TV -power cable to Chromecast- and or upgrade coax to TV

Upvote 0
Sounds like RF interference.

Are you using the hdmi extender cable?

How about the charger and its cable? The one that came with it has a ferrite bead around it to cut down on that for the Chromecast.

Have you tried moving the power cable around?

If powering directly from a usb port on the TV, try a different cable - or going directly to the charger - could be a slight short somewhere there.

Welcome to the forums! :)
Plugging it into USB instead of wall worked

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones