• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Clarification on Battery.

Ok, I really need some people to clarify how many times I should battery discharge. I just completed my 3rd discharge last night and charged it overnight powered down. The battery seems to be the same. I even did a factory reset and it still seems the same. Its 11:13 and its been about 3 hours since I unplugged the phone and I'm at 86%. I've seen some people get 8hrs before they got to 86%.

Battery usage as follows.

60% Display-Time on 3m 27s!!
16% Cell Standby-Time on 15m..0% without signal
10% Phone Idle-Time on 12m
5% Android System & OS-CPU usage 55s total

With the current battery stats I think I should be getting better battery life than I am. Anyone agree?

Ok, I really need some people to clarify how many times I should battery discharge. I just completed my 3rd discharge last night and charged it overnight powered down. The battery seems to be the same. I even did a factory reset and it still seems the same. Its 11:13 and its been about 3 hours since I unplugged the phone and I'm at 86%. I've seen some people get 8hrs before they got to 86%.

With the current battery stats I think I should be getting better battery life than I am. Anyone agree?

1 full discharge every 2 weeks to a month should be fine. The only reason to do a full discharge is to make sure your battery indicator is reporting the correct percent. Here's a good write up on lithium ion batteries in general. If you want, a "simple guidelines" section is at the very bottom:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

There are so many variables when it comes to battery life that I'd take EVERY user's battery life/usage statistic with a grain of salt.

Signal strength seems to be a common theme when it comes to battery life. For me, at work the signal seems to fluctuate from 5 bars to 0 bars all day. Consequently I also go anywhere from ending an 8 hour day with 50% and ending with 10%. And I'm just one person.

Display is also a huge battery sapper. Yes, even 5-10 minutes. Even with a black wallpaper and minimum brightness, you shouldn't expect a big increase in battery life.

It's just the reality of smartphones. Now if you're going only 4 hours or so with normal usage/idle time and you're out of battery that's room for concern, but 3 hours unplugged and 86% is completely fair in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Do you have items running in the background? Need to clarify what settings you have first before asking "what percentage should my battery be at after x amount of hours?"

I am at 37% - phone has been off charger since 7am yesterday - I have about 30min of voice calls, 30min of texting, some web/market/maps/camera usage..

My Settings:
Brightness - turned all the way down
Browser display settings - all the way down
Wifi - goes to sleep when display is off
background data on / auto sync OFF
no live wall paper
no live widgets / facebook or whatever

This is my 2nd phone - first phone wouldn't last more than a day with these same settings.

I'm coming from using a Samsung Eternity - That phone would last me 3 days easy (as I don't really use these phones to their full potential anyway) - so for me, I would expect the Captivate not to last as long just because of the simple fact that it is a true "smartphone."

Upvote 0
I'm on my longest battery charge so far. Right now it is @ 20%, on battery only for 24hrs 45 minutes.
Everything is ON (wifi, bluetooth, 3g), auto brightness.
I've downloaded 6 or 7 programs
Used MyPod to download 20 podcasts,
Used maps (30 minutes)
Tried a new browser I downloaded but ended up uninstalling it because it was buggy and slow (Dolphin HD)
Misc games and browsing.
A few calls for maybe 30 minutes.

The only thing different with the last charge was when I let it shut down Friday night, I kept it OFF and charged it all night. Usually I keep it on standby while charging overnight.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones