Clockworkmod Question

Last Updated:

1. openedmind

openedmind Member This Topic's Starter

I made two backups of ROMs by manually booting into recovery. Everything went smooth except that I made one on 11-21-10 and it's named as 11-22-10 and the other was made the next day on 11-22-10 and it's named and dated 11-23-10.
    The date and time are showing correctly on my phone. This is not a big deal now that I'm aware of it, but was curious if anyone has experienced this and could shed some light on this?

Advertisement
  2. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Backups are named based on GMT. That means that you must be in a timezone several hours behind.

EDIT: You can use ROM Manager to rename your backups to whatever you want. I highly recommend you do so. It's easy to remember what's what at first, but you'll soon lose track. Don't rename them with anything other than ROM Manager; they will break.

openedmind likes this.
  3. openedmind

Thanks akazabam. You're correct, I'm two hours ahead of GMT time zone and both backups were done after 10:00pm my time.
    I will try ROM manager so I don't have to keep track of whats what. Thanks again, you're help is greatly appreciated!

4. akazabam

Happy to help :)

5. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

I recommend not renaming them at all, just make a note of the nandroid somewhere.

6. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Just curious....what would someone 2 hours ahead of GMT be doing with an EVO???

7. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

I think its because GMT is basis of the world clock. Meaning all time zones are based from that time. Just a guess but who knows..

8. akazabam

I think he meant, why is someone in Europe using an Evo?

wrapkgb and flyjbaker like this.
  9. akazabam

Can I ask why? I'm not trying to be rude or anything; I'm just wondering. Have you had issues with renaming them before?

10. wrapkgb

Yea I guess after re reading his post mine doesn't make much sense... haha :eek: Oh well, A for effort. Maybe I should get some sleep!

11. andygu3

I've never had an issue but I don't rename them, I use the name given on the time stamp. I don't keep many nandroids anyway but make sure if you do rename them, use all 1 word with underscore_______

akazabam likes this.
  12. akazabam

That's true; no point in renaming them if you don't keep a lot of them. Good advice with the underscores. I forgot to mention that.

lol, it's all good. You just gave the right answer to the wrong question :p.

13. openedmind

Thanks for all the replies, some are even funny. Just to clear up the confusion, I'm on the east coast (eastern standard time) two hours ahead of GMT.
    I intend on trying many different ROMs, and after reading the above posts, I think I'll just keep a file on my PC to keep track of what ROMS are associated with the dates.

14. akazabam

EST is GMT -5 ;)

flyjbaker likes this.
  15. openedmind

You are absolutely correct. I was thinking mountain time here in th US. I now believe that since it's 1:20am in the morning here that I need to get some sleep...LOL.

flyjbaker likes this.
  16. andygu3

I guess I don't know why you need to keep many nandroids, lol:p

17. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

I renamed mine with Astro (i think) and wasn't able to get it to restore until i switched over to RA Recovery and searched for the renamed file manually. Something definitely screwed up when i renamed the file

18. akazabam

If you're happy with one or two roms, I don't see the need either.

You renamed a clockworkmod nandroid or a RA nandroid? Not sure how RA works, but I know you need to use ROM manager to rename clockworkmod backups.

19. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

I renamed the 2010-11-14.48.whatever.whatever folder in the clockworkdmod/backup directory, and was unable to recover to it until i was in RA recovery and selected the file.

20. wrapkgb

So you originally made the nadroid with clockwork and then restored with amon? If I'm not mistaken that could be dangerous since they back up differently. For instance amon backs up your wimax keys whereas clockwork does not.

21. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

As i recall that's exactly what i did. I was having screen issues after i flashed different kernels, so i wanted to go back to the original backup i did when first flashed Myn's RLS3 (i backed it up with ROM Manager/ClockWorkMod). When i made the backup, i then renamed the folder/file using Astro. After the kernels messed up on me, i rebooted to recovery and tried to restore to that backup but was getting "file not found", which i assume was due to the name change. So i decided to troubleshoot the kernel flash by loading up RA recovery and doing the cache/dalvik wipes there. Wipes went fine, but after a reboot the screen was still messed up. I then booted back into recovery (still RA) and was able to browse to my original Myn's backup and it worked that time.

I was told that if a backup was made using ROM Manager then ROM Manager/ClockwordMod was the only recover that would recover it, but not in my case. I'm still using RA Recovery simply because it could restore what ClockWorkMod couldn't. I even did another backup, but this time used the backup feature in RA Recovery vs ROM Manager.

I didn't know it was dangerous to do, thanks for that info! I just figured they both backed up and restored the same, just one more stable than the other. I'm certainly using the backup feature built into RA Recovery from now on though, wipes and restores seem to work better.

22. wrapkgb

Yea I'm surprised it worked. If I were you I would check in terminal that you still have your rsa keys since restoring a clockwork nand with amon. I'm not sure if that may be an issue since amon backs them up.

23. wrapkgb

If you aren't sure how to check here are the directions:

Download terminal emulator for the market.
    Open terminal and type "su" (without qoutes) press enter
    Then press allow when super user pops up.
    Then type "grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0" (again no qoutes) press enter
    Terminal will then start spitting out abunch of info. If your RSA keys are intact at the end it will say
    ---Begin RSA private key-----
    -----End RSA private key----

And give it a few seconds to load the info after you input the commands

If it doesn't say that your 4g is gone for good.

takirb likes this.
  24. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

Good deal, looks like everything's intact. It wouldn't bother me to lose 4G though, we don't have it anywhere in my entire state that i'm aware of (SC), and i'm sure it won't be coming to my town for at least another few years if that (small town in SC). If it did screw up my keys, would i be able to restore to the very first backup i created when i first rooted and have it all back?

[​IMG]

25. wrapkgb

Good deal! Amon backs up your wimax.img and clockwork does not
    So the only way you can recover your keys is from restoring a nandroid back up created by amon