• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help CM9 Nightly Hercules

sleedeane

Android Expert
Jul 6, 2011
Columbia, MO.
While everyone else enjoys (or a few,regrets) finally installing ICS, I can only be jealous of you all, as my PC went on the fritz right before I was going to plug my phone in for the update.
So I'm stuck with 2.3.6 a little longer.
But I want something to play with, too!
So I was looking around, and remembered this option:

451dce9b-fed1-bfa0.jpg

But I don't even know if it's for 2.3.6 or not, or how safe it is to flash.

Is it really that easy: just download it straight to the phone using ROM Manager (which I did, and have no idea where it went. Using es, I can't find it in internal or external...? Just poof...gone...)

Okay. I'll assume CWM can find it.
No... I guess I have to choose what I want it to flash. Where is it? Not in downloads or CWM or on ex or...?
Okay. Skip that part. Now...
Do I checkmark both these other two boxes as well as the wipe dalvik? I already did a nandroid bu after I flashed this ROM-the one I'm using, stock- back in after I was done with Darkside), so just wipe data and cache and dalvik cache, or none...?:

451dce9b-0140-ae4f.jpg

I also already have a full bu on tit bu on my ext card.

Is this it? About a two click flash? No booting into recovery manually or anything?
Best of all, no PC?

I have tried to find out about CM9 in xda.
But all I can find is comparisons to the official Cyanogen 9 ROM's and something about nightly means it's being worked on every day.
I guess Cyan is like "the best", right? It's got 5 stars, so it must be alright?

Would this be a good second ROM for me to install?
What precautions should I be aware of before I start pushing things?

Thank you so much.
I do appreciate it.

Edit: I went ahead and tried to install it after reading around a little bit.
Still not sure it's for 2.3.6. Might be 2.3.5. or 4.0.3 ?
I re-downloaded CM9 and it appeared in Internal as CWM/download/...this time.
Still don't know where the 1st one went.
I left dalvik checked, and checked wipe data and cache. Then install.
Okay. It got stuck in re-boot.
Battery pull. Still stuck. CM slash screen and Samsung logo and thin blue bar and black screen and vibrations all looping erratically.

Fear. :eek:

Battery pull.
Awe. Recovery mode. :thumbup:

Back to normal. Phew.

Okay.
Backup is good.
So... Lets try something else since it's only 2am.
Like this. At least it says it's for T989 2.3.6 and has several 5 star reviews:

451dce9b-80f0-c3cc.jpg

Success!!
Titanium: Restored all user apps and data.

Success!

Whoa...
1.8 ghz!
Check these out:

451dce9b-81d6-abc3.jpg

451dce9b-81fc-88e7.jpg

I'm using GoLaunch again (don't like tw), had to go get SlideIt keyboard (no Swype) and Screenshot It, but I am definitely going to use this for ahwile. Smooth and quick!

Can't try out ICS for a week or two, but at least the day/night/morning wasn't a total loss.
My second ROM!
Yeh!

I haven't used Rom Manager much but I know the rom's aren't updated like they used to be. You can see Juggernaut 5 in the XDA forums. Rom Manager is good for easily flashing a recovery. You can use it to flash 5.0.2.7.

Cyanogenmod 9 is basically ICS. You might see Cyanogenmod 7 too. It is basically Gingerbread. Going from Gingerbread to ICS you would want to wipe everything. A good tool to use is Darkside Super Wipe. You can read more about it in this thread.

Reactions: sleedeane
Upvote 0
Cyanogenmod 9 is basically ICS. You might see Cyanogenmod 7 too. A good tool to use is Darkside Super Wipe. You can read more about it in this thread.

No. Just 9.
But that's okay. I'm going to keep using this ROM until I get a pc.
There will be more...Windows... of opportunity then.

I know you are past the CWM thing, but you can answer this for me, I'm sure.

I want to back this ROM up. In Manager, there's "Manage ROM back ups", with something in there. I assume it's my stock rooted ROM recovery back up?
Because right below that is the option to back up current ROM. Which I want/need to do, yes?
And option to rename.
To name it something so I know what it is, I can only adds words at the end of the date/time title, not completely rename it. Right?
I caused a lot of grief on myself naming folders and fiiles whatever I wanted to IiI before and want to learn from that, not repeat it.

Okay. On the Darkside Super Wipe script. Just use that instead of any other wipes at all, right?
It does data, cache, dalvik (whatever that is. I'll read up on that one some more).
Everything.
So...when a recovery backup or titanium backup go straight to Internal, it will be wiped?
I think I'm wrong about that, because nobody ever seems to stress the importance of making sure these backups are on the external card.
Just like when you download a ROM. It usually goes to sdcard/Downloads, not the external card.
The instructions even say "...choose zip from sdcard" and if not there, then "choose zip from internal.."

How come it doesn't get wiped when we chose to wipe before we flash?

I don't understand.

Thank you for all

Upvote 0
So...when a recovery backup or titanium backup go straight to Internal, it will be wiped?

Your internal or external sd storage are not part of the areas that are wiped. To remove that data it would have to be formatted, like when you format an sd card or hard drive.

I want to back this ROM up. In Manager, there's "Manage ROM back ups", with something in there. I assume it's my stock rooted ROM recovery back up?
Because right below that is the option to back up current ROM. Which I want/need to do, yes?
And option to rename.
To name it something so I know what it is, I can only adds words at the end of the date/time title, not completely rename it. Right?

I've never used Rom Manager much except to install CWM. I usually do nandroid backups in recovery. Not sure about the naming. I usually just leave mine alone. :)

Reactions: sleedeane
Upvote 0
Your internal or external sd storage are not part of the areas that are wiped. To remove that data it would have to be formatted, like when you format an sd card or hard drive.

Oh. Okay.

Not sure about the naming. I usually just leave mine alone. :)

Then it is mine that will be left alone as well. I guess I'll just write the date names down somewhere so I know what they are as I can collect several ROMs in ROM Manager. It could get confusing.

Than you A

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones