• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Comment on AJ_EVO's charger recommendation

markstanco

Nov 18, 2009
Anybody with that charger noticing that if you are car docked with GPS AND streaming audio that it won't charge?

Last week in SoCal, no heat to stop charging..... It simply would not climb above 30% on a 1 hour trip. I turned off the gps and audio and it started creeping up to 50% in the last 10 minutes.

So.... Are there any better chargers out there?

I have noticed that having the screen on all the time during travel led to my battery charging issues while traveling. We took about a 12 hr. trip and noticed that the phone did not seem to be charging as it normally would. I turned off the screen for an hour and it charged right up. Just some food for thought.

Upvote 0
I've noticed that if you are going to comment on another users post, you should probably do it in that thread instead of making another thread about it. ;) LOL

The problem with replying in that thread is that most people who have actually purchased that very charger have no reason to open that thread up again.

Sorry that it bothers you, but I would have a better chance getting a reply with a new thread.

Upvote 0
Listen here. I was simply telling you that you are violating forum rules and posting guidelines. If you don't like it, not my problem. But stick around you'll make great contributions to the community. I can tell! :rolleyes:

You know what... Maybe you are right. This Internet stuff here on this phone forum is serious business. I shouldn't have started a new thread on a serious question about chargers.

You have way more posts than me, I should have looked at that. You = God, me = noob.

Sorry.

Upvote 0
actually, hold on... still recovering from double vision by looking at your avatar, everything is blurry now... lol :p

uh, back to my point. For sure, that thread is long, but it also has the answer to your question. The same answer the original poster of the thread received when he returned to read it. The same answer, as the major contributor to that thread, I have replied to with my suggestions while being a noob to this forum myself. The selection of the charger and usb cable is a big deal when it comes to Droid X because using this toy with all the bells'n'whistles puts a huge drain on the battery and as a result you are discharging it at a higher rate than charging it up. Trust me, all this was already answered in that thread. There is no point starting another one with a same info. If you read the original thread and find it confusing, feel free to PM me ;)

Reactions: jreed2560
Upvote 0
actually, hold on... still recovering from double vision by looking at your avatar, everything is blurry now... lol :p

uh, back to my point. For sure, that thread is long, but it also has the answer to your question. The same answer the original poster of the thread received when he returned to read it. The same answer, as the major contributor to that thread, I have replied to with my suggestions while being a noob to this forum myself. The selection of the charger and usb cable is a big deal when it comes to Droid X because using this toy with all the bells'n'whistles puts a huge drain on the battery and as a result you are discharging it at a higher rate than charging it up. Trust me, all this was already answered in that thread. There is no point starting another one with a same info. If you read the original thread and find it confusing, feel free to PM me ;)

Huge +1. It is a great thread full of info. Maybe a summary would help others. However: Yes 1 Amp won't power the phone with screen on, bt on, 3g radio on, and nav or other processes on like music streaming.

2.1 amps (on the single port) is necessary for every thing on. It just is, think of the DX and a better faster, but smaller iPAD or Android Pad (do they have a catchy name yet?)

Otherwise is you keep stuff off and don't use everything the phone has at once, 1 AMP is plenty, even with nav on but just barely. If you weren't polling data the whole time it might help.

Upvote 0
I think the issue is heat related. After using navigation for 30 or 40 minutes the phone gets HOT. Has anyone successfully gotten their phone to charge after it has heated up, and while still using navigation?

I use NAV constantly. It is always being charged while in this mode from the power outlets in my car. If I use the USB port it barely breaks even re: being charged / discharging. As far as I know it has not stopped charging. I believe that is when the internal temperature reaches 150

Upvote 0
Oh well, I guess we are getting dragged into this thread now lol! Heat is inevitable because the more current you draw the hotter it gets considering lack of airflow. With heat, the efficiency of charging will go down and now in addition to everything on draining your battery you are also loosing energy through a heat. So the charger has to work even harder (read: takes longer to reach the full charge). It will get there if you are on a trip long enough :D

Now, here is a question which hasn't been raised or answered. How long is this micro USB connector going to last after daily plugging/unplugging? I plug my phone into the charger at least once a day because I use it as NAV in my car, usually charging up on a way to work and than running from battery on a way back. Never mind external cable, that one can be replaced. But the actual micro USB connector on our phone gotta have some finite use after connector going to break or contacts will wear out. Any thought on this?

Upvote 0
Oh well, I guess we are getting dragged into this thread now lol! Heat is inevitable because the more current you draw the hotter it gets considering lack of airflow. With heat, the efficiency of charging will go down and now in addition to everything on draining your battery you are also loosing energy through a heat. So the charger has to work even harder (read: takes longer to reach the full charge). It will get there if you are on a trip long enough :D

Now, here is a question which hasn't been raised or answered. How long is this micro USB connector going to last after daily plugging/unplugging? I plug my phone into the charger at least once a day because I use it as NAV in my car, usually charging up on a way to work and than running from battery on a way back. Never mind external cable, that one can be replaced. But the actual micro USB connector on our phone gotta have some finite use after connector going to break or contacts will wear out. Any thought on this?

I'm trying not to think about it. But I think it will last pretty well. The connection is sold with very little wiggle room (or at least mine is) even with the new monoprice cable. I don't see it wearing out too fast, but as always its a matter of how careful you are.

I prefer using the cable over a dock anyday. Docks tend to side load terminals too much

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones