Complete noob just wants 800MHz

Last Updated:

1. TheSchneidster

TheSchneidster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Alright folks, please forgive me for asking some seriously lame questions.

I've searched everywhere and haven't been able to find any answers that make sense to me ... why? Because I'm lame.

I have, however, rooted my phone and am pretty comfortable using ClockworkMod and/or ROM Manager (Lite).

SPRecovery, too ...

I used CM6 for a little while (pretty rad) and tried using UD8 this morning (wouldn't load, oh well) but the thing is, I like the stock image.

All I want to do is overclock a bit to around 800 or so.

I tried using ChevyNo1 kernels, but I don't think I'm doing it right.

Is there a way to check (using terminal or something) to see what the CPU speed is? I'd really hate to have to spend 1

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

SetCPU.. buy it, get it, it IS the standard tool for setting your clock speed, checking it, making profile settings to adjust speed based on other phone factors like heat, screen, charging, etc. I really think, and I am cheap, this is a MUST have app for OCing

everyone has a kernel recommendation as it has really been shown that each phone is different. I cannot use P3's, but I have GREAT luck with Chevy and the JDLFG I am using below... see my signature.

PS - why mess with 800 when 1.2 is pretty reliable and 1.0 is really reliable for most

3. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

All you need is SetCPU. You can use it to overclock the stock kernel to 800 MHz. I'm currently using the ChevyNo1 1.0 GHz low voltage kernel and I love it.

4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Yeah, I highly recommend purchasing SetCPU.

If you just want to see your processor speed though, Quadrant will do that in its system info section.

You can also get SetCPU for free if you're a member of XDA, though I must stress, it really is worth the $2.

5. TheSchneidster

TheSchneidster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, I got SetCPU and set it to 800MHz ondemand.

Is there a way to see current speed other than taking SetCPU's word for it?

Also, is ondemand the best way to see a boost in performance?

6. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Yeah, ondemand is the best combination of performance and battery life.

I think there are other apps out there that can confirm your cpu speed. Also, if you're using BB, I believe you can run the 'cpuinfo' script to show your clockspeed as well.

Also, the 'info' tab in setcpu shows you which 'slot' your CPU is running at in real time.

7. patch

patch Well-Known Member

dont know what you mean taking setcpu's word for it .. its a solid app, and it's works as advertised.

If your still paranoid for some stupid reason try system panel from the market , in the info screens shows cpu speed

8. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

no doubt.. what, are you worried that SetCPU - the gold standard app in this area - is lying to you????

look under the "info" tab and see real time speed data and trust SetCPU is telling you the truth