• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Confused Perhaps

Bob Maxey

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
Hi Folks

I have a basic unstanding of programminig. I develop(ed) some Visual Basic stuff, Access Db junk and the like. So please tell me how hard is it to develop Android apps?

I see apparently simple apps for accessing Gmail and Hotmail, and they look to me like they are not much more than simple programs that access places like MSN, Hotmail, etc.

I know that I am missing something so please tell me more.

I want to develop apps to access portions of a corporate web site and include a nice GUI. These are not for public consumption, however.

VB and Access include various Wizards that simplify development. Are there similar tools in the Android SDK that make it eeasy to do what I want to do?

Cheers,

Bob :D:D

Hi Folks

I have a basic unstanding of programminig. I develop(ed) some Visual Basic stuff, Access Db junk and the like. So please tell me how hard is it to develop Android apps?

I see apparently simple apps for accessing Gmail and Hotmail, and they look to me like they are not much more than simple programs that access places like MSN, Hotmail, etc.

I know that I am missing something so please tell me more.

I want to develop apps to access portions of a corporate web site and include a nice GUI. These are not for public consumption, however.

VB and Access include various Wizards that simplify development. Are there similar tools in the Android SDK that make it eeasy to do what I want to do?

Cheers,

Bob :D:D

Hey Bob,
I moved your thread to android developer 101

Upvote 0
Just because an application you're using looks simple, doesn't mean architecting it is simple. Applications that hit web services for data are not trivial to a new Android developer. You need to have quite an understanding of how the operating system works to create a stable application.

If you really want to build Android apps, start simple. Build a Hello World application. Then build an application with a ListView. Then watch this video and see all the things you're doing wrong. If you decide you want to get into more serious Android development, watch this video and attempt to build what he's explaining.

Just note that after you've learned how to start, compile and create a small project, using ListViews and understanding the Activity lifecycle are your two most important hurdles.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones