• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connects to Router but No Internet

mAdMaCCa

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
After searching not just this forum but google as a whole, I am completely stuck!

We own several different HTC and Samsung "smartphones", Laptops and more that all use our Home WIFI network.

Until two days ago all connected to the router and then on to the wide world beyond without a single issue, but now the phones connect to the router as usual but don't see anything beyond the local network.

The laptops work fine still. The phones will use the WIFI network and happily sync and communicate with the laptops no problem, but refuse to see the internet. Therefore no email, no market updates, no anything.

If you use the in-built browser and simply head to google, it times out saying page not available.

What's changed on the network...just one key thing.

I have just installed some CCTV with a DVR that allows remote viewing. To make this work I had to change one setting on my router.

Since I don't have and can't get a static IP address I needed a Dynamic DNS service. Easy. For that to work though I had to change my router settings from "Get DNS Address Automatically From ISP" to fixing the Primary & Secondary DNS servers. I used 64.24.218.220 and 64.24.218.221 respectively (still my ISP servers).

The DVR works great and my camera's can be seen via my dnsdomain by friends and family anywhere in the world (great for when we go away etc).

The laptops, as I say, work fine.

All our Android "smartphones" stopped working at once.

Obviously, I can get them working by setting my router back, but then the remote viewing on the DVR/CCTV won't work, which I need.

Has anyone had similar issues/configuration that they managed to overcome and help an enthusiastic technology newbie with please?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones