• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts being merged?

Hi all, I have contacts in my address book on my Mac, which get synched with my gmail contacts, and then to my phone. For some reason, the phone appears to be combining the information of two friends of mine who happen to live at the same address.

No matter what I do, delete them from the computer, the phone, gmail, etc, and then re-add them, the phone combines them into one contact, muddling up their email addresses and phone numbers into a jumble. They also show up as one combined person in the SMS application. I see that there is a long-open bug on the Google Code web site that sounds like what I'm experiencing:

Issue 4979 - android - Contacts is merging 2 separate contacts - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Does anyone have any idea how I can untangle the contacts on the phone?

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones