• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Convert owned movies with Handbrake

Should Verizon offer a choice between 16 and 32 GB models, I'd like to know a bit more about the sizes of video files "optimized" for the GN's HD display. I would like the option to have a number of videos on the GN for offline use.

Can anyone give an estimate or example of the size of a handbrake derived movie in HD. I'm looking for an answer in GB per hour of video. My non HD videos made for my OG Droid videos were approx .7 Gb/hr.

Also, has anyone downloaded movies from the android market for offline use. I would be interested in the file size, and of course, whether the movies are in HD or another known format.

Lastly, I'm curious to whether a HD file will look significantly different that a non-HD video file on a sub 5" screen. Probably a bit early for this question, but perhaps we have a video enthusiast with a Rezound or early Nexus owner/tester.

Upvote 0
Should Verizon offer a choice between 16 and 32 GB models, I'd like to know a bit more about the sizes of video files "optimized" for the GN's HD display. I would like the option to have a number of videos on the GN for offline use.

Can anyone give an estimate or example of the size of a handbrake derived movie in HD. I'm looking for an answer in GB per hour of video. My non HD videos made for my OG Droid videos were approx .7 Gb/hr.

Lastly, I'm curious to whether a HD file will look significantly different that a non-HD video file on a sub 5" screen. Probably a bit early for this question, but perhaps we have a video enthusiast with a Rezound or early Nexus owner/tester.

You might want to watch my video above a few spots. You're actually using a higher conversion rate than what I use with my DVD Catalyst...which I think is slightly unnecessary based on the OG Droid's screen resolution. You're probably not going to notice much difference in picture quality if you were to bump those settings down a notch or two. Since I don't have a blu-ray drive, I can't say what the difference is quality is going to be like. I'd say the file size is going to increase by about 30-40% if converting off an HD disc. I do know the file size for converting a DVD for the Nexus' screen is no different than converting for my Droid Incredible: stays the same which is about 1GB/2 hr. movie (at my usual setting). I'm likely to take this up a setting w/the Nexus (from 1000kbps to 1500kbps) which increases the file size by about 35% (from 1GB movie to 1.4GB movie file).

I will email Mitch at DVD Catalyst and see if he can chime in on this.

Upvote 0
If you are just converting DVD-sized content using h264 video at about 1500Kbps (about 1GB/hr) will produce a quality nearly identical to that of the original DVD. For fast-action movies, you could go a bit higher, but going over 2000Kbps (1.1GB/hr) will be overkill. Of course the actual settings used for the h264 format will make a big difference, and this will also affect playability on the device itself. If you use incorrect settings for the encode, the video will stutter.
For HD-sized content (720p) you will want to use something of about 2000Kbps as a minimum, but you might want to go up to 2500 or so. Going much higher than that is barely noticeable on a screen that size.

One of the questions I get quite often is resolution. A lot of people don't realize that many devices these days have a resolution higher than that of an actual DVD. Don't "upscale" the resolution of your video to match that of the device. Use the original resolution. The device itself will upscale the video to fit within the screen anyway.

Reactions: milhousevh
Upvote 0
I need some serious help.ive been trying to movies on my samsung galaxy sII.i was able to do it with two movies with no problems. ripped them then converted them to andriod video format and its all good. now every other movie i try keeps ripping in a foreign language. yes i know its because most rippers cant convert the hd audio so it selects the next audio it can which happens to be foreign. ive tried everything from diff converters to tsmuxer maybe im not doing it right. but if someone can walk me thru this i would greatly appr it. and im sorry if this is the wrong forum for this and im not trying to do anything illegal please help its killing me n ive spent too much time one this HELP!!

Upvote 0
I need some serious help.ive been trying to movies on my samsung galaxy sII.i was able to do it with two movies with no problems. ripped them then converted them to andriod video format and its all good. now every other movie i try keeps ripping in a foreign language. yes i know its because most rippers cant convert the hd audio so it selects the next audio it can which happens to be foreign. ive tried everything from diff converters to tsmuxer maybe im not doing it right. but if someone can walk me thru this i would greatly appr it. and im sorry if this is the wrong forum for this and im not trying to do anything illegal please help its killing me n ive spent too much time one this HELP!!

Not sure with Handbrake but you can easily rectify this if you want to spend $10 on DVD Catalyst. This is why I keep recommending DC to others over other programs because it's so easy to use. It takes the headache(s) out of converting your movies. Basically a couple of clicks and done.

Upvote 0
Sorry everyone. I have been out of town, for work, and have only had access to the site via the app, and didn't want to try updating the first post via that. Just got in tonight.

I will be updating the first post with any new relevant info in the next day or so.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Upvote 0
800 for the average bitrate? How is it possible that the Galaxy Nexus wouldn't be able to handle the same files as my XOOM? I encode those in Handbrake with an average bitrate in the 4000 area.
I wanted to revive this thread, as I got my GNex this morning. I knew that there was no possible way that this thing would under perform video playback compared to the XOOM.

I just had no issues with playback on a file with the following characteristics, so an approximate max bitrate of 800 is ridiculous:

Conversion Tool: Handbrake
File Format: mp4
File Size: 3.81GB
Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame Rate: 23fps
Video Bitrate: 4022kbps
Audio: 159kbps

Don't short yourselves, your Galaxy Nexus can handle a hell of a lot better than 800kbps. I can't even imagine how that looked it you tried to output to a 52" HDTV. Obviously, this could also be overkill, but the bottom line is that settings can be adjusted based on file size preference.

You'll find my Handbrake Preset file attached (sorry about the zip, but the forums don't recognize a .plist file). Happy video watching!

Attachments

• GNex.zip
    991 bytes · Views: 130
Reactions: Namrak
Upvote 0
Hey guys. Don't mean to rock the boat here as I have been converting files for the longest time. However, I've done a few test on the Gnex with 720p mkv files and Dice Player and I have to report it is awesome. I haven't tried 1080p vids yet but I will test and report back. If you have MKV and want to watch (with sub support) you need to check out Dice Player.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Dice Player and I'm sure there other players that do the same (i.e. Mobo Player).

Update1: 13GB MKV 1080p plays back perfect on Dice. Took awhile to transfer though. What kind of speeds are you all getting for transfers?

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I just picked up my Nexus yesterday and did some video tests last night & today with DVD Catalyst. I put Tron: Legacy on it last night using the Galaxy Nexus setting in the app and set it on the "(fast)" setting; which has a video quality of 1000kbps. After viewing this, I would highly recommend that no one use this setting or any setting that is lower. The movie had awful pixelation of greens all throughout the movie. I kept seeing a large amount of green pixels in scenes, especially where there was a lot of black in the movie; like black in the foreground or background. It's in my opinion that these lower settings in the app are just too low for the HD screen of the Galaxy Nexus.

I did another conversion using the HQ1 setting; which has a video quality of 1500kbps. This conversion was much better. The movie had no strange pixelations like before. Nearly all scenes were perfectly fine and clear as you would expect and want them. A few scenes (very few) were a bit granny when the there was a lot of black in the image; such as backgrounds. An example is the opening scene when "The Grid..." begins with the line zigzagging around. I found this setting to be just fine. The file size was around 1.5GB.

I then performed another conversion using HQ2 setting; which is the maximum video quality of 2000kbps. You could tell some/slight differences in improvement overall from the HQ1. The few granny scenes mentioned w/HQ1 were cleaned up a little more with the HQ2 setting; they were still slightly there, just less noticeable. You could also notice a slight bump in clarity everywhere else as well. The file size was just short of 2GB.

I would recommend to all to either use HQ1 or HQ2. Which one is up to you. I think I will personally use HQ2, as I did think the video quality was better than HQ1. HQ1 was good, but slightly not as good as HQ1. There is an additional HQXT setting that has a video quality of 1650kbps. I didn't test it, as I didn't think there was any need to bother since it was only slightly higher than the HQ1 setting.

FYI, I chose Tron: Legacy because it's a good DVD to sample since nearly all of the digital scenes were shot with the IMAX camera, which I believe is 2.35:1 (don't quote me on this). So those particular scenes (the good ones), take full advantage of the entire screen on the phone! :)

EDIT 01/08/12: Hey guys, I need to clarify one thing I found yesterday sitting in bed. When I copied the HQ2 version over to my phone, I inadvertently copied over the HQ1 version again/back onto my phone. So I essentially viewed and rated the HQ1 version twice. Sorry if anything I said may have been misleading. With that said, I can now say that the HQ2 version is pretty much identical to the original DVD copy.

Upvote 0
I've actually been messing a bit with Tron Legacy the last couple of days, and I got the best results on my Galaxy Nexus with the HQXT profile.

One thing, turn off "deinterlace" in (enable Power User) Global Settings > Tweaks. For just about all other movies, this doesn't affect the quality, but if you leave it enabled for Tron Legacy, the lines look slightly off.
If you turn deinterlace off, they look perfect.

The fast profile is intended to be used if you have an older computer (p4 or something like that) and still want to be able to convert your movies fairly quick.

Upvote 0
I just bought the DVD Catalyst and it's definitely simple & straightforward to use. I can't understand why my movies end up being so small on my GNex though...

I have it set to Galaxy Nexus, HQ1...
I ripped 2 movies (Cars 2, Transformers 3) which are both widescreen. But the finished output ends up being 832x352 which takes up only about 70-75% of my Nexus screen. Why is this?

The Cars 2 DVD I used says it's 2.39:1 aspect ratio which isn't far off from the above poster's 2.35:1 Tron movie which DOES take up the whole screen. What setting am I missing?

Reactions: dvdcatalyst
Upvote 0
I just bought the DVD Catalyst and it's definitely simple & straightforward to use. I can't understand why my movies end up being so small on my GNex though...

I have it set to Galaxy Nexus, HQ1...
I ripped 2 movies (Cars 2, Transformers 3) which are both widescreen. But the finished output ends up being 832x352 which takes up only about 70-75% of my Nexus screen. Why is this?

DVDs have a resolution that is lower than that of the Galaxy Nexus. While it is possible to upscale a video from a lower resolution to a higher resolution during the conversion, by default, DVD Catalyst keeps the original resolution when the resolution of the selected device is higher than the source video.

By default, DVD Catalyst removes black borders from the video if they are there:

top-gun-cropped.jpg

but if your video has an aspect ratio that is different than that of the actual device, you still end up with black borders:

widescreen-video.jpg

A small change in DVD Catalyst's settings can make all your movies full-screen. This, as well as an article about screen-size/resolution is explained in the FAQ links I have linked on the front page of my website, as well as the small FAQ that is visible when a conversion is running.

Upvote 0
People still use handbrake? Okay I'll admit i basically just skimmed through this thread but, come on! :-D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad

This will not help with the size of a particular video file but it will make it so that you never have to go through the time of converting another video ever again. The app will play all formats. I have the pro version.

Upvote 0
People still use handbrake? Okay I'll admit i basically just skimmed through this thread but, come on! :-D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad

This will not help with the size of a particular video file but it will make it so that you never have to go through the time of converting another video ever again. The app will play all formats. I have the pro version.

MX Player is good, but Moboplayer is even better at software decoding, and the Dice player is the best of the three, using hardware acceleration to do the job.

I've used all three extensively.

And handbrake remains a good option for many uses. ;)

Upvote 0
MX Player is good, but Moboplayer is even better at software decoding, and the Dice player is the best of the three, using hardware acceleration to do the job.

I've used all three extensively.

And handbrake remains a good option for many uses. ;)

I also have used all three. I am preferring Dice player as well. I still break out handbrake every once in a while, but I am still rocking DVD Catalyst, when I want to take one of my BluRay/DVD's and make a file for my different Android Devices: Gnex, HP Touchpad, Dinc, and Nook Color. It just works.

The part I still struggle with, is how to get just forced subs with DVD Catalyst. I am sure it is just me being dense, but I have always struggled with getting just the forced, when taking it from the disc. If I make a file from one of my MKV's, which I only pull out the forced for my HTPC, then there isn't any problems. But that is because it is the only sub there.

Anyone figured it out completely?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones