• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help copy paste from sd card to memo pad?

ratv8

Oct 31, 2011
I am unable to connect to my wireless network at home. Since SWMBO has "organized" my stack ("file by pile") of paperwork and manuals, I was unable to find my notes from when I originally set up the network, I had to redo the set up this morning so I could use the phone on it. After putting in the key, it comes up and asks for a pass phrase. i got nuthin'. My new notes do not mention a pass phrase, just a long-a** key. I didn't need a passphrase setting up my laptops, so I'm stumped. I did copy the key to a text file on the card, but haven't figured out how to copy paste into the wifi connect field. I've entered it so many time's I've darn near got it memorized. Still, no luck.

Any ideas?

The router is Dlink dir655, using wpa/wpa2 personal. When I log into my router, I find addresses, masks, gateways, servers, other crap I don't understand, but nothing about a pass phrase. And my daughter's ipod has no problem connecting without this "pass phrase", whatever it is.

Help, please.

I'm hoping I understand you correctly, but if connecting your Android device to your WiFi is the issue, then I think I can help you.

When you activate the WiFi radio on your phone, you should have gotten a popup showing what wireless routers are in range of your phone's WiFi signal. Tap the one that is yours (should be named according to the provider). After selecting the router, you should be prompted to select what kind of a router it is (security-wise) and enter the passkey (passphrase, password, keycode, etc.). Unless it was changed by your provider at your request, the password needed (usually 10 charcters) should be on the side of your wireless router.

For instance, I use AT&T UVerse and have a wireless router. On the side, there are 4 or 5 different sets of numbers/letters available. The one you'd be looking for would be after the words "Netkey."

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
If none of your other devices are requiring a WPA2 passkey, then try logging in without typing one in.

If that doesn't work, and there is a passkey set up on your WiFi network, then you will have to log in to your browser and reset the passkey to one that you know. That's usually done by connecting your laptop directly to the router, then typing in the local IP address (192.168.1.1 is the default IP for many routers, but you can use good ol' Google fu to find the setup instructions for one. Or start here: D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router)

Make your new password something foolish but easy to remember like "HowcanIforgetthispassword?"

Upvote 0
after 90 minutes on the phone with USCC and Dlink, finally got connected to home network. Had to reset phone to do so, but they walked me through backing up my contacts and texts, so we're good. It took the encryption code the first time I tried it after the reset.

Well, good more or less. I'm just trying to remember the name of the program I was using to filter the marketplace... It has a list of all the apps I had installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones