• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Could Windows Phone Really Overtake Android as the World

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
The outcome of a partnership that will see Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 as the operating system of choice for Nokia, one of the world’s top mobile phone manufacturers, has yet to have any real impact on the global smartphone market. At least one firm, Pyramid Research, thinks the combination could have Windows Phone ranking as [...]

More...

Eh, they have a slightly better area to start from, all windows 7 phones have one flat line of hardware across the ENTIRE line, not fragmented spattered ranges that Android has. I'm giving them benefit of the doubt. Though for now, it still feels very lacking and behind when compared to Android or iOS.

Like all things, give it some time. It might not end up sucking as much as 6.5, but we'll see.

Upvote 0
just a new guy here on the forum, and my first post.

I currently use a Samsung Focus WP7. I ditched my iPhone to switch over to WP7. Its in many ways much nicer than the iPhone, but it does lack in some areas, but over all I like it much better than the iPhone.

I just ordered a HTC Inspire 4G today and will receive it next week, and I am looking forward to using the phone and Android 2.2 (or what ever it comes with).
My first Android phone was the T-Mobile G1. I liked it for the full QWERTY keyboard and some of the apps, but it really did not keep me interested for long.

I do believe that WP7 will gain market share in several years to a respectable amount, but i dint think it will over take android.

James

Upvote 0
Just because Microsoft got Nokia to use WP7 doesn't mean it will dominate. The people have shown that they like customization and openness, not walled gardens. At least walled gardens that aren't Apple. I've said it before, people don't like change. Trying to uproot a few hundred million Symbian users so Microsoft can force them into WP7 isn't going to work. The reality is, Symbian is much more like Android and iOS than WP7. While Symbian could be on feature phones and smart phones, WP7 remains exclusively on smart phones. It also appears to have limited scalability and flexibility. I just don't see WP7 as becoming dominant.

Upvote 0
Microsoft will rely on company phones to force the market their way. My IT department has already issued an edict that all company phones bought in the future will run Windows 7 because of MS-Exchange related issues, although they didn't quite put it that way. So, once you're used to a Windows company phone, your next personal phone will be Windows, natch!

Also Orange for one were offering better deals on contract Windows phones than contract Android phones. If you are new to smart phones you won't notice that until your mates are asking why the heck you got a Windows phone? How many other networks are doing the same?

It's possible.

Andrew

Upvote 0
Microsoft will rely on company phones to force the market their way.

Blackberry is proof enough relying on business accounts and funtionality wont strangle hold the market share. I wouldn't be suprised if ZERO corperate establishments rely on android. I think you have to rely on the "growth" instead of relying on corportate or existing smartphone customers who have already for the most part locked in to their OS of choice. I would think the "tile" thing has got to go, step one is something people dont mind looking at and I know several people who reject it on the tile format alone. they just dont like the look.

Upvote 0
Windows Phone 7 is awesome, but undercooked. The foundation is very very good, it just needs a little time to flesh out the missing features.

After Mango WP7 will have all the basic features people expect in place, and Android and iOS will have a challenge on their hands.

Microsoft is a marathon runner. They will push and push until they win. Remember Xbox? Now look at where Xbox 360 is. All in a short period of time.

Upvote 0
One key to success for WP7 is the ppl that left Win Mo for the iPhone and Android. For the ppl that dont have a smartphone, I'm sure the bad rep of the old Win Mo haunts WP7.

I almost got an iPhone after using Win Mo. And my bad experience with Win Mo turned me on to Android. I tried one in a store and it is very smooth. My main gripe with WP7 is the tiles. Yea its different, but that doesnt necessarily mean its better than what the iPhone or Android offers.

Upvote 0
As much as I prefer Android, the general public has proven based on the iPhones success, they want simple. In turn they will give up a lot.

While MS & Nokia have great potential, Apple has a very significant hold on the market.

Androids fragmentation issue is lingering too long, along with the negative press it generates. Its this problem that concerns me greatly. Even with it's present popularity, I'm not sure Google will manage Android well enough to remain viable.

I'd like nothing better than to see Android endure over the test of time.

Upvote 0
Blackberry is proof enough relying on business accounts and funtionality wont strangle hold the market share. I wouldn't be suprised if ZERO corperate establishments rely on android. I think you have to rely on the "growth" instead of relying on corportate or existing smartphone customers who have already for the most part locked in to their OS of choice. I would think the "tile" thing has got to go, step one is something people dont mind looking at and I know several people who reject it on the tile format alone. they just dont like the look.

Except WP7 won't be only relying on business accounts. The OS was built to attract avg consumers as well. The problem with Blackberry is they have a stale OS and lacked multimedia features that regular consumers want. WP7 already have those capabilities. It just that they can do even more offering seamless integration with their vast array of business applications (ie exchange, word, sharepoint etc..) that a lot of organization uses

Upvote 0
As much as I prefer Android, the general public has proven based on the iPhones success, they want simple. In turn they will give up a lot.

While MS & Nokia have great potential, Apple has a very significant hold on the market.

Androids fragmentation issue is lingering too long, along with the negative press it generates. Its this problem that concerns me greatly. Even with it's present popularity, I'm not sure Google will manage Android well enough to remain viable.

I'd like nothing better than to see Android endure over the test of time.

What is this fragmentation on Android?

Upvote 0
Who cares who sells more? really, it's better for the consumer if there is good competition in the market. I bought my son a windows7 Samsung Focus for Xmas. It's a damn nice operating system. Just not very customizable, but not everyone is like most of us here who like to tinker with our phones and make them our own unique device.

Do you remember the Dreamcast? I remember the Dreamcast. I loved that system. I thought it was absolutely fantastic.

But it didn't sell, the hardware quickly became obsolete, the system stopped getting new updates and upgrades and features and peripherals the other systems were getting, and all the devs left for Nintendo, Microsoft and Xbox.

That's why it matters who sells more. If one company greatly outsells the other, they'll have a leg up for making better products. They'll have more innovation and attract better developers.

Right now, it doesn't matter too much as both iphone and android sell enough to be powerhouses. I'm happy with that.

Upvote 0
It's not gonna happen.

Microsoft is terrified (and rightly so) that the consumer tech world is passing them by, and they're going to try like hell to get WP7 to succeed ... lots of brute force and buckets of money. But they waited too long to start WP7 development, and they released it before it was finished, and now in the minds of most people WP7 is another Zune. That's going to make it many times harder for them to gain any market-share traction.

I actually think the Nokia deal might be bad for them in the long run, because people are going to think of WP7 as "the Nokia OS," and Nokia definitely has their own perception problem these days.

In the broader scheme of things, as someone said above ... Microsoft's day in the sun is over. They're still in denial about that, but it's true.

Upvote 0
What is this fragmentation on Android?

Fragmentation has to do with the fact that currently, there are several versions of Androids operating system in use by the different handset makers such Motorola, Samsung, & HTC.

Due to the differences not all apps will run on the older versions. Conversely some apps will not run on newer versions. The versions installed on different models of handsets are ver: 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.

One of the most recent reports suggests that versions 2.1 and 2.2 are on the majority of phones even though the newest is 2.3 which offers features not available on the older ones. Therefore the word chosen as the solo identifier of this situation is fragmentation. In addition, there's been a very negative connotation attached to fragmentation by Apple, Androids largest competitor.

As a very avid smartphone enthusiast who's owned many different brands of phones running on the various operating systems, I find Android my favorite by a wide margin.

In my opinion the best thing that could happen is for Google who owns Android to use its influence on the handset makers to get current with the newest version being installed on all Android phones. (this is currently being undertaken). At that point they would all have the same features and simplify development of applications.

Currently app developers only have to develop one version for Apple, whereas due to fragmentation they must develop more than one version of the same app for the different versions of Android. As a result they can generally make more money creating iPhone apps. Obviously this is a disadvantage for Android.

Hopefully this gives you the answer to your question, along with further insight about Android.

Upvote 0
I think WP7 will definately increase it's market share.

As was mentioned, people like simple.

WP7 is great for someone buying their first smartphone. It's easy to use, easy to navigate and not as intimidating for new users. The last reports I saw, mentioned smart phones passing the 50% mark of all phones sold within the next year. Most people at this point who don't have a smartphone, probably aren't on the cutting edge of technology and want to ease into it.

WP7 provides a nice transition for most people.

All that being said, I dont think it will ever overtake Android. Android's had too big of a head start and keeps improving with every generation.

Apple's heyday is in it's twilight IMO.

In 3-4 years;

1: Android
2: WP7
3: iOS (distant by then)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones