• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Could you turn your phone into a computer?

JoeHPSDA

May 15, 2012
Would it be possible to turn a low spec (Moto G) phone into a makeshift computer for typing on?

If there was a TV available, how easy or effective would it be to connect the phone (via HDMI?) and attach some kind of keyboard, and then type into a Word-style app?

Obviously this wouldn't be ideal, but if you had no access to a computer, would this work? And if so what other gear would be needed?

Thanks

Hmm I'm not so sure my idea would work, but you could buy an hdmi adapter for your phone to plug into the TV, and a Bluetooth enabled keyboard for the moto g (I'm not so sure if the keyboard would work as I've never tried it before.

The keyboard would work I'd think as long as they pair correctly.

I've never used hdmi for any of my devices so I'm unsure how it would work device to TV.

Interesting idea you have though

Upvote 0
Provided you can somehow get video out of the phone, usually it's HDMI or DLNA and you have a monitor or TV which supports it. Don't know about the Moto G, can you get video out of that? But anyway there's plenty of phones that do have HDMI, etc. Use a Bluetooth or USB keyboard, if it has USB OTG. For making documents, there's Kingsoft, QuickOffice, MS Office, etc. Yeh sure you can use a phone as a "desktop computer" for office productivity.

Upvote 0
Provided you can somehow get video out of the phone, usually it's HDMI or DLNA and you have a monitor or TV which supports it. Don't know about the Moto G, can you get video out of that? But anyway there's plenty of phones that do have HDMI, etc. Use a Bluetooth or USB keyboard, if it has USB OTG. For making documents, there's Kingsoft, QuickOffice, MS Office, etc. Yeh sure you can use a phone as a "desktop computer" for office productivity.

Ummm....

Last I checked, the Moto G does not support MHL, so no HDMI for you.

And DLNA does not do live screen video.

OP, you could try screen mirroring to a Chromecast -

Check out "Mirror for chromecast"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.libmirror4cast.app

Root is required, expect a half-second delay to the TV.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones