• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Couple of issues with HD Maxx

GS300

Aug 11, 2010
Not sure if they are related or not.
I have the Max with a 32GB SD card. New card, not one from a previous phone. I only added the applications I had on my Droid X.
I am using Jorte Calendar. I added it to page 2 of home pages as a widget. I also use Apps Organizer and added the lables to page 3 of home pages. I then swapped page 2 and three for convience since I use the calendar less.
So here is what is happening.
I loaded two picture files from my PC to the SD card. One was around 200 pics and the other was almost 800 pics, When I went to the gallery it showed 3 files. Camera and the two I loaded with the correct picture counts. When I opened the files however, they only displayed a portion of the pictures. There were empty picture frames (boxes) where the rest should be. When I tried slide show each would stop where the first empty frame would be.
I had downloaded the owners manual so I attempted the reboot that is described in it. Thats when things got really interesting. Power button and volume down resulted in many volume issues like in the notifications area (off)and my calendar widget disappeard and was replaced by one short cut of one of my apps, but didn't seem to solve the picture problem. I put the calendar widget back and tried other reboots but they all seemed to have the same issues. Volume always muted and my calendar gone and replaced by a random short cut. I went to a Razr Max (previous version) forum and saw instructions for getting to the recovery menu and doing a data cache clear and reboot. Those steps still work on the HD and it seemed to solve my issues. I could access all the pictures and life looked good. 9 days remaining on 14 day return period.
Except....
Last night I took maybe 6 pictures in a row of a person. I then went to look at them to see which I wanted as a contact photo. I could see all the thumbs at the botton but more than half wouldn't load. The little circle with the word loading just kept going. I just quit for a while and after maybe a half hour suddenly everything was fine. I am getting concerned now that I have a SD card issue. I took it out this morning and reinserted it. Prior to that step I did the upgrade mentioned in Matt's post.
My calander is gone. A new random shortcut and (I believe this is new) two blank home pages added. Somewhere between the upgrade and the SD maintainence this happened. So I deleted the shortcut, the two extra pages and added my calander to the third. Just to investigate further I just shut down the phone and waited a couple of minutes and powered up. Calendar gone, random shortcut added. This time still just 3 total pages.
Removed shortcut and added GMail widget. Turned power off and waiting a few minutes. Powered up and random short cut added to page 3 but GMail widget still there. Looks like if there is room for the short cut it adds it. If there isn't it just removes what is there and replaces it with the random short cut.
To test that, I removed the shortcut and the GMail widget and put a smaller Jorte widget in its place. Power off. Wait, then power on. Random short cut inserted, small widget remains. So it seems that Jorte is not the culprit.
This time I am going to add a blank page 4. Going back to a full page 3 widget and see if it will bump it to the next page, if one is already set up. Power off, power on and random short cut on page 3 and calendar is gone. Page 4 is still blank.
This time I am removing pages 3 and 4 so there is no where to go except page 2. Or 1. Power off, power on and SOAB it added page 3 and put the random short cut on it. Surprised me.
Now what? I guess I'll remove apps organizer lables fom page two. Not sure why but might as well test that. OK, only clean page 1 home page. Deleted the apps organizer shortcuts first, then the random short cut on page 3 then deleted page 2 and page three. Power off. Power on and it addded page 2 AND page 3 and added the random shortcut to page 3.
I give up. I am going to do another data wipe and reboot and one more test. That is it. Well, that accomplisd nothing but to confirm that with every power off, power on episode, even a reboot, a shorcut and pages up to 3 are added. Just one more test. Lets see if it keeps adding and adding short cuts. Since I always delete them I don't know that. Power off, power on and this surprised me.. nothing more added. More testing. Remove the short cut but left page 2 and 3 blank. Off, on.... shortcut added. Power off, on.... nothing more added. Deleted the added short cut than added one of my own to page 3. Power off, on.... OMG... it replaced the one I added with another one. WTH???
OK, "it" want's a shortcut in the upper left corner of the home page of "its" own choice. I moved the one it added to the bottom. Off, on.... it added another to the upper left corner. Moved it to the bottom. Off, on.... added another one. Moved it to the bottom. Added another one of MY choices to the upper left corner. Now have 3 on the bottom and 1 on the upper left corner that I added. Off, on... sure enough, "it replaced mine. Left as is. Off, on....no change. So that confirms the one of its own theory. Now someone needs to figure out the WHY.
Looks like two seperate issues. One is a shaky SD card precess. Either the card or the reader or whatever. The second is this short cut issue. Not even sure what to call it.

What is everyones's take on this? Next logical steps are what? 14 day period is up Thursday and I really like this phone but.....

GS

PS: Also posted this on the Motorola User forum to see what their thoughts may be.

I'm with the others. Take it back.

I just installed a 32GB SD card and it didn't change anything, other than providing the popup notice that the card is mounted and inquiring if I want to launch the utility to move files from internal storage to the SD card.

This is with a Transcend Class 4 miscroSDHC card.

Mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones