• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CPU Hot - Googlequicksearchbox

pgper

Lurker
Oct 22, 2018
Ok! Here's what happened.
One day i picked my phone up and noticed that was hot with the screen closed. It was weird! I thought something was running at the background and sooner or later it would stop. One hour later and with the battery now dropped down to 30% I started to worry. I Didn't have any new updates! The phone was just standing still and hot with no apparent reason. Either uninstalling or force stopping apps or clearing cache had no difference. I sadly had no choice but a factory reset. Once the phone was operational again, temps and battery drain looked good. Its fixed... or so I thought! How foolish of me, of course it wouldn't be that easy, right?

Two days later (not a heavy user) I plugged it to the charger. Naturally my device gets a little warm, but once unplugged it cools down. Not this time tho, it remained hot! Damn! Upon further investigation (CPU usage in developer settings) I saw a list filling my entire screen of processes. Four caught my attention:
1. com.google.android.music:main
2. com.google.process.gapps
3. com.google..android.videos
4. com.google.android.youtube

2 more processes were running
com.miui.cloudsync - MIUI Sync, managed to turn it completely off
com.xiaomi.simactivate.service - Xiaomi thing to track your phone (find device) managed to turn it completely off

So, I 'm stuck with the first four, but I didn't open the apps at all, like ever!! Well, maybe youtube, like once or twice, but well before the facory reset.

My actions:

Tried force stop all the above apps, restrict permissions, manually close my wifi and cellular data, reboot phone. Nope, nope, nope and nope again. Apps remained active and using my CPU for no reason draining my battery like an F1 drains fuel.

By an unecpexted strike of luck (How often does it happen to you? Because me is 1 in a million) while I had my browser open, I tapped my center button (to view open apps) and a little button that closes all apps at once, so you don't have to swipe manually, also clears a bunch of temporary memory. Mine had an 'x' icon, at other phone is an 'trash' icon.

Suddenly, more than half of my proccesses were gone, including those pesky google apps. It didn't last for long, a merely second or two later a procces named Googlequicksearchbor:search (not :interactor that my search results rubbish) spiked, and all hel broke loose again bringing all cpu consuming stuff

Now, after several factory resets, I kinda found a way.

Well, after my last factory reset at the first start of the phone I didn't logged to my google account or Xiaomi's cloud services. All fine until I plug the charger, hell breaks loose, wait until phone is charged, once charged I go to apps and clear ALL data from google services and play services, completely shut the device down and back on again. And its good... well.. until the next charge

I managed to capture a screenshot with many proccesses open and one with the googlequicksearcbox spiking up the CPU.

I didn't find ANY WAY to prevent the googlequicksearchbox to open (I think its the Google widget). I can make it to not be at the screen or not to respond to 'Ok, Google' but it remains active. No way to disable it at all! Also no way to uninstall Google bloat, because I haven't root my phone. So, for now I bent down and let Google do it business from behind...

HELP!

PS. Posted on MIUI official forum and got deleted by the admin, Thanks Xiaomi, really, really great! Good practices!

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x (MTK) - Marshmellow 6 - MUIU 9.6.1

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-21-10-17-46-149_com.miui.home.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-21-10-17-46-149_com.miui.home.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,131
  • Screenshot_2018-10-23-18-44-48-097_com.miui.home.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-23-18-44-48-097_com.miui.home.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 326

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones