• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Crappy 3G speeds

darkworld260

Jan 21, 2011
Hello everyone i have a problem
my 3g speeds are TERRIBLE
i get about 67kb download and 150kb upload
I did follow the instructions located on this guide http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...r-solution-fix-your-slow-3g-speeds-evo4g.html

as soon as this happens "Wait for the phone to finish it's thing. 3g Icon should be on, go off, then come back on"

i immediately did a speed test and got 850KB but so i let my phone sit for like 15-30min and back to crappy download speeds again any idea why????

Just making sure you did that part. How's your 3g signal? Did you run the test multiple times?

ok this is starting to get really weird.... after running the tests multiple times the first test was high about 500kb download and slowly decreased until after running the test i got to 30kb :(
The bars at the top of my phone show 4 to 5 bars at all times!

Upvote 0
Check your settings and see what PRL you're on. You should be on 60675 or 60676. Maybe try a battery pull. One other thing you might want to call Sprint to have them reprovision your phone on their end.

ok i will try all of that and my phone is 60676 PRL. Will i need to unroot for reprovision or do i just call and say hi can you reprovision my phone?
Also Thanks for all your help!

Upvote 0
ok i will try all of that and my phone is 60676 PRL. Will i need to unroot for reprovision or do i just call and say hi can you reprovision my phone?
Also Thanks for all your help!

You won't have to unroot. Just call and ask them to do it. Tell them you're getting horrible download speeds. They'll do something on their end and might ask you to do a battery pull or power off reset.

Upvote 0
restoring the data profile in the epst menu IS re provisioning the phone. Calling sprint will not do it any differently other than it will be initiated over the air.

did you cancel the prl update, or did it update your prl after the handsfree activation and did you also do the http proxy fix, or just the data profile restore?

Upvote 0
could always be the tower...i called sprint, my home tower has had 3g issues for 3 weeks now, there is a ticket pending which will probably not be filled until i make 30 phone calls...not that it matters im on wifi at home anyhow, i just like to complain...

At work however i noticed the same exact thing, went up to 1.5 immmediately then 15 minutes later back down to average. at least at work i get the average of 540k. this wasnt useful information just my experience lol.

Also should i update to 60676? Im at 60675....

Upvote 0
I'm not so sure that 3g issues are related to root. At least in all cases.

3g coverage used to be great along I-80 between Richmond and San Francisco. There was one noticeable dead spot.

A few weeks ago, that changed. Now, there are multiple, large dead spots. There was also a lot of random times of going from strong 3g to none - even while sitting in one place for an extended period. I also noticed 3g dropping off at home.

Because of that, I thought rooting and fixing 3g might help. So, last weekend, I rooted (left stock ROM). While I'm glad to have root, it did not change those 3g issue at all. Nothing improved but nothing got worse.

All of which isn't to say that everyone's having "dead spot" issues. But maybe Sprint is doing something to the network (perhaps as part of rolling out 4g) that may be contributing to some of the problems people are noticing with 3g.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones